St. Helenas Parish, South Carolina
In addition to religious roles, South Carolina's "Anglican parishes were used as election districts and had responsibility for road development, care of the poor, and education."
- Borders Prince William, St. Bartholomew's, and St. Luke's parishes. For a map, see: Early parishes in South Carolina.
- "Inscriptions from St. Helena Churchyard, Beaufort, South Carolina," The South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Vol. 32, No. 2 (Apr., 1931):131-147; Vol. 32, No. 3 (Jul. 1931):205-237. FHL Collection 975.7 B2s v. 32 (1931); digital version at JSTOR ($).
- Baumhofer, Hermine Munz, "Economic Changes in St. Helena's Parish, 1860-1870," The South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Vol. 50, No. 1 (Jan., 1949):1-13. Digital version at JSTOR ($).
For an early history of the parish, see Chapter 22, St. Helena's Parish, Beaufort, pages 375-381, in:
- Dalcho, Frederick. An Historical Account of the Protestant Episcopal Church in South Carolina from the First Settlement of the Province, to the War of the Revolution; with Notices of the Present State of the Church in Each Parish and Some Account of the Early Civil History of Carolina, Never Before Published. Charleston: E. Thayer, 1820. FHL Film 22657; digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
"An explanation of the way in which this register was saved during the Confederate War, may be of interest. Capt. Edward Barnwell for many years warden of St. Helena's Parish had it in his possession when he died in 1860. When Beaufort was evacuated in November 1861, his widow, Mrs. Sarah Caroline Barnwell (born Richardson) took it with her, preserved it during the war, and after it was over sent it to Mr. Robert Barnwell Rhett, Editor of the Charleston Mercury at his request, to allow him to obtain certain information about his family. He kept it until he removed to Huntsville, Ala., and left it with the Charleston Library Society. Some years afterwards, at the request of the Vestry, it was returned to them."
In 1951, FamilySearch microfilmed a typescript of the parish register: FHL Film 23296 Abstracts have been published:
- Barnwell, Joseph W. and Mabel L. Webber. "St. Helena's Parish Register," [1752-year], The South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Vol. 23, No. 1 (Jan. 1922):8-25; Vol. 23, No. 2 (Apr. 1922):46-71; Vol. 23, No. 3 (Jul. 1922):102-151; Vol. 23, No. 4 (Oct. 1922):171-204. Digital version at JSTOR ($).
|St. Helena's Parish||1683-1822||C506581||1683-1822||M506581|
The vestry books have been published:
- Salley, A.S. Minutes of the Vestry of St. Helena's Parish, South Carolina, 1726-1812. Columbia, S.C.: Historical Commission of South Carolina, 1919. FHL Book 975.799/B1 K2s; digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
- St. Helenas 1712 (official website)
- St. Helena's Church Marker, The Historical Marker Database
- St. Helena's Episcopal Church Marker, The Historical Marker Database
- Chapel of Ease Marker, The Historical Marker Database
- Chapel of Ease, The Historical Marker Database, accessed 17 February 2011.
- "The Formation of Counties in South Carolina," at the South Carolina Department of Archives and History website, accessed 21 January 2011.
- Joseph W. Barnwell and Mabel L. Webber, "St. Helena's Parish Register," The South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Vol. 23, No. 4 (Oct. 1922):204.
- Hugh Wallis, IGI Batch Numbers for South Carolina, USA, accessed 14 September 2010.