St. James Goose Creek Parish, South Carolina
South Carolina's "Anglican parishes were used as election districts and had responsibility for road development, care of the poor, and education."
- Borders Christ Church, St. Andrew's, St. George, St. Johns Berkeley, St. Matthew's, St. Michael's, St. Philip's, St. Thomas & St. Denis parishes. For a map, see: Early parishes in South Carolina.
For a history of the parish, see Chapter 5, St. James' Parish, Goose-Creek, pages 244-263, in:
- Dalcho, Frederick. An Historical Account of the Protestant Episcopal Church in South Carolina from the First Settlement of the Province, to the War of the Revolution; with Notices of the Present State of the Church in Each Parish and Some Account of the Early Civil History of Carolina, Never Before Published. Charleston: E. Thayer, 1820. FHL Film 22657; digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
For a history of the area, see:
- Heitzler, Michael J. Goose Creek: A Definitive History. 2 vols. Charleston, S.C.: The History Press, 2005-2006. FHL Books 975.793/G1 H2h v. 1 and v. 2
A partial 1745 tax return for St. James' Goose Creek Parish survives. It is kept in the Archive of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel (London), Reference C/AM/7.149. The tax return is analyzed in:
- Morgan, Philip D. "A Profile of Mid-Eighteenth Century South Carolina Parish: The Tax Return of Saint James', Goose Creek," The South Carolina Historical Magazine, Vol. 81, No. 1 (Jan. 1980):51-65. Digital version at JSTOR ($).
- Goose Creek Church Marker, The Historical Marker Database
- St. James, Goose Creek Marker, The Historical Marker Database
- St. James, Goose Creek Chapel of Ease / Bethlehem Baptist Church, The Historical Marker Database
- St. James, Goose Creek Chapel of Ease / Bethlehem Baptist Church, The Historical Marker Database, accessed 17 February 2011.
- "The Formation of Counties in South Carolina," at the South Carolina Department of Archives and History website, accessed 21 January 2011.