St. James Santee Parish, South Carolina
St. James Santee Parish has served Charleston County.
South Carolina's "Anglican parishes were used as election districts and had responsibility for road development, care of the poor, and education."
- Borders Christ Church, Prince Frederick, Prince George, St. Stephen's, St. Thomas & St. Denis parishes. For a map, see: Early parishes in South Carolina.
- "The Inscriptions on the Tombstones at the Old Parish Church of St. James's Santee, near Echaw Creek," The South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Vol. 12, No. 3 (Jul. 1911):153-158. Digital version at JSTOR ($).
The parish church's cemetery graves are also transcribed in Bridges (see below).
For a history of the parish, see Chapter 9, St. James' Parish, Santee, pages 295-302, in:
- Dalcho, Frederick. An Historical Account of the Protestant Episcopal Church in South Carolina from the First Settlement of the Province, to the War of the Revolution; with Notices of the Present State of the Church in Each Parish and Some Account of the Early Civil History of Carolina, Never Before Published. Charleston: E. Thayer, 1820. FHL Film 22657; digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
- Bridges, Anne B. and Roy Williams. St. James Santee Plantation Parish [South Carolina] History & records, 1685-1925. Spartanburg, S.C.: The Reprint Co., 1997. 541 pages. Includes church records for St. James Santee, 1758-1788 (Church of England); previously unpublished records, 1846-1921 (assumed to be Episcopalian). Also includes cemetery records for the church and lists of French & Swiss refugees & inhabitants. The old parish existed in today's Charleston & Berkeley counties. Book found at Book found at FHL 975.79 H2b and Other Libraries.
- Webber, Mabel L. "Parish Registers of St. James' Santee 1758-1788," South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Vol. 15, No. 3 (Jul. 1914):133-143; Vol. 15, No. 4 (Oct. 1914):197-203; Vol. 16, No. 1 (Jan. 1915):16-24; Vol. 16, No. 2 (Apr. 1915):68-79; Vol. 16, No. 3 (Jul. 1915):109-122; Vol. 16, No. 4 (Oct. 1915):164-177; Vol. 17, No. 2 (Apr. 1916):73-81. FHL Book 975.7 B2s v. 17; digital versions at JSTOR ($).
- St. James Santee Parish Church Marker, The Historical Marker Database
- "The Formation of Counties in South Carolina," at the South Carolina Department of Archives and History website, accessed 21 January 2011.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Saint James Santee Parish, Charleston, South Carolina Computer Printout; Births or Christenings, 1758-1788. FHL Film 883821 Item 17