St. James Santee Parish, South Carolina
South Carolina's "Anglican parishes were used as election districts and had responsibility for road development, care of the poor, and education."
- Borders Christ Church, Prince Frederick, Prince George, St. Stephen's, St. Thomas & St. Denis parishes. For a map, see: Early parishes in South Carolina. An overlay of districts is available at Carolana.com.
- "The Inscriptions on the Tombstones at the Old Parish Church of St. James's Santee, near Echaw Creek," The South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Vol. 12, No. 3 (Jul. 1911):153-158. Digital version at JSTOR ($).
The parish church's cemetery graves are also transcribed in Bridges (see below).
Select graves are photographed and transcribed at Find A Grave.
For a history of the parish, see Chapter 9, St. James' Parish, Santee, pages 295-302, in:
- Dalcho, Frederick. An Historical Account of the Protestant Episcopal Church in South Carolina from the First Settlement of the Province, to the War of the Revolution; with Notices of the Present State of the Church in Each Parish and Some Account of the Early Civil History of Carolina, Never Before Published. Charleston: E. Thayer, 1820. FHL Film 22657; digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
- Bridges, Anne B. and Roy Williams. St. James Santee Plantation Parish [South Carolina] History & records, 1685-1925. Spartanburg, S.C.: The Reprint Co., 1997. 541 pages. Includes church records for St. James Santee, 1758-1788 (Church of England); previously unpublished records, 1846-1921 (assumed to be Episcopalian). Also includes cemetery records for the church and lists of French & Swiss refugees & inhabitants. The old parish existed in today's Charleston & Berkeley counties. Book found at Book found at FHL 975.79 H2b and Other Libraries.
- Webber, Mabel L. "Parish Registers of St. James' Santee 1758-1788," South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Vol. 15, No. 3 (Jul. 1914):133-143; Vol. 15, No. 4 (Oct. 1914):197-203; Vol. 16, No. 1 (Jan. 1915):16-24; Vol. 16, No. 2 (Apr. 1915):68-79; Vol. 16, No. 3 (Jul. 1915):109-122; Vol. 16, No. 4 (Oct. 1915):164-177; Vol. 17, No. 2 (Apr. 1916):73-81. FHL Book 975.7 B2s v. 17; digital versions at JSTOR ($).
- St. James Santee Parish Church Marker, The Historical Marker Database
- "The Formation of Counties in South Carolina," at the South Carolina Department of Archives and History website, accessed 21 January 2011.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Saint James Santee Parish, Charleston, South Carolina Computer Printout; Births or Christenings, 1758-1788. FHL Film 883821 Item 17