St. James Santee Parish, South Carolina
Before the American Revolution, the state church of South Carolina was the Church of England (also called the Anglican Church, and later the Protestant Episcopal Church). Besides keeping parish registers, the church kept many records of a civil nature in their vestry books. The Vestry was as much a political body as a religious one. The wardens and commissioners were responsible for the roads, education, the poor and orphans, voting and collecting taxes in addition to their church duties.
Borders: Christ Church, St. Thomas and St. Denis, the Atlantic Ocean, Prince George since 1721, Prince Frederick since 1734, and St. Stephen's since 1754 parishes. For a map, see: Early parishes in South Carolina. An overlay of districts is available at Carolana.com.
- "The Inscriptions on the Tombstones at the Old Parish Church of St. James's Santee, near Echaw Creek," The South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Vol. 12, No. 3 (Jul. 1911):153-158. Digital version at JSTOR ($).
The parish church's cemetery graves are also transcribed in Bridges (see below).
Select graves are photographed and transcribed at Find A Grave.
For a history of the parish, see Chapter 9, St. James' Parish, Santee, pages 295-302, in:
- Dalcho, Frederick. An Historical Account of the Protestant Episcopal Church in South Carolina from the First Settlement of the Province, to the War of the Revolution; with Notices of the Present State of the Church in Each Parish and Some Account of the Early Civil History of Carolina, Never Before Published. Charleston: E. Thayer, 1820. FHL Film 22657; digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
- Bridges, Anne B. and Roy Williams. St. James Santee Plantation Parish [South Carolina] History & records, 1685-1925. Spartanburg, S.C.: The Reprint Co., 1997. 541 pages. Includes church records for St. James Santee, 1758-1788 (Church of England); previously unpublished records, 1846-1921 (assumed to be Episcopalian). Also includes cemetery records for the church and lists of French & Swiss refugees & inhabitants. The old parish existed in today's Charleston & Berkeley counties. Book found at Book found at FHL 975.79 H2b and Other Libraries.
- Webber, Mabel L. "Parish Registers of St. James' Santee 1758-1788," South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Vol. 15, No. 3 (Jul. 1914):133-143; Vol. 15, No. 4 (Oct. 1914):197-203; Vol. 16, No. 1 (Jan. 1915):16-24; Vol. 16, No. 2 (Apr. 1915):68-79; Vol. 16, No. 3 (Jul. 1915):109-122; Vol. 16, No. 4 (Oct. 1915):164-177; Vol. 17, No. 2 (Apr. 1916):73-81. FHL Book 975.7 B2s v. 17; digital versions at JSTOR ($).
Holcomb and Hollowak reprinted marriage register abstracts:
- Holcomb, Brent H. and Thomas L. Hollowak. South Carolina Marriages, 1688-1799. Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1980. FHL Book 975.7 V2hsc v. 1
- St. James Santee Parish Church Marker, The Historical Marker Database
- "The Formation of Counties in South Carolina," at the South Carolina Department of Archives and History website, accessed 21 January 2011.
- "South Carolina Counties and Parishes - 1760" [map] in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Royal_Colony/sc_royal_colony_counties_parishes_1760.html (accessed 28 May 2011).
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Saint James Santee Parish, Charleston, South Carolina Computer Printout; Births or Christenings, 1758-1788. FHL Film 883821 Item 17