St. James Santee Parish, South Carolina
Also known as the Wambaw Church on the King's Highway. This is the fourth building to serve this parish. The original parish was authorized upon the request of Huguenot settlers in 1706. The original building was few miles inland at Jamestown, but their meeting place was moved closer to the sea as the local population shifted due to the construction of the King's Highway. In the early years sermons were preached in the French language.
Before the American Revolution, the state church of South Carolina was the Church of England (the Anglican Church, or Protestant Episcopal Church). Besides keeping parish registers, the church kept many records of a civil nature in their vestry books. The Vestry was as much a political body as a religious one. The wardens and commissioners were responsible for the roads, education, the poor and orphans, voting and collecting taxes in addition to their church duties.
Borders: Christ Church, St. Thomas and St. Denis, the Atlantic Ocean, Prince George since 1721, Prince Frederick since 1734, and St. Stephen's since 1754 parishes. For a map, see: Early parishes in South Carolina. An overlay of districts is available at Carolana.com.
Areas Served: St. James Santee Parish served:
- "The Inscriptions on the Tombstones at the Old Parish Church of St. James's Santee, near Echaw Creek," The South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Vol. 12, No. 3 (Jul. 1911):153-158. Digital version at JSTOR ($).
The parish church's cemetery graves are also transcribed in Bridges (see below).
Select graves are photographed and transcribed at Find A Grave.
For a history of the parish, see Chapter 9, St. James' Parish, Santee, pages 295-302, in:
- Dalcho, Frederick. An Historical Account of the Protestant Episcopal Church in South Carolina from the First Settlement of the Province, to the War of the Revolution; with Notices of the Present State of the Church in Each Parish and Some Account of the Early Civil History of Carolina, Never Before Published. Charleston: E. Thayer, 1820. FHL Film 22657; digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
- Bridges, Anne B. and Roy Williams. St. James Santee Plantation Parish [South Carolina] History & records, 1685-1925. Spartanburg, S.C.: The Reprint Co., 1997. 541 pages. Includes church records for St. James Santee, 1758-1788 (Church of England); previously unpublished records, 1846-1921 (assumed to be Episcopalian). Also includes cemetery records for the church and lists of French & Swiss refugees & inhabitants. The old parish existed in today's Charleston & Berkeley counties. Book found at Book found at FHL 975.79 H2b and Other Libraries.
- Webber, Mabel L. "Parish Registers of St. James' Santee 1758-1788," South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Vol. 15, No. 3 (Jul. 1914):133-143; Vol. 15, No. 4 (Oct. 1914):197-203; Vol. 16, No. 1 (Jan. 1915):16-24; Vol. 16, No. 2 (Apr. 1915):68-79; Vol. 16, No. 3 (Jul. 1915):109-122; Vol. 16, No. 4 (Oct. 1915):164-177; Vol. 17, No. 2 (Apr. 1916):73-81. FHL Book 975.7 B2s v. 17; digital versions at JSTOR ($).
Holcomb and Hollowak reprinted marriage register abstracts:
- Holcomb, Brent H. and Thomas L. Hollowak. South Carolina Marriages, 1688-1799. Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1980. FHL Book 975.7 V2hsc v. 1
South Carolina Historical Society holdings: "St. James, Santee (Episcopal) Church. McClellanville. Records, 1758-1971. 2 vols."
- "Register includes marriages (1758-74; 1778-88); banns of marriage (1760, 1761, 1767, 1769); marriages (1851-1948); baptisms (1758-88); burials (1758-74; 1778-88); list of incumbents (1789-1865); confirmations (1854-61); historical notes (1789-1865); baptisms (1848-61; 1867-90; 1893-1926); list of communicants (1876); confirmations (1854-61; 1869-1952); births and baptisms (1920-71); deaths and burials (1846-63); decennial lists of communicants (1890-1940). Relatively frequent references to baptisms of slaves and, in the 1850s, confirmations on plantations, the rites apparently performed by laymen. Vestry minutes (1806-86), including accounts and references both to 1820 petition to the legislature re right to sell glebe land and to C. C. Pinckney, Jr., secretary of the vestry, then (after ordination) rector (1835-39). Families represented on the vestry include Axson, Doar, Dupré, Mazÿck, Rutledge, and Vanderhorst."
- St. James Santee Parish Church Marker, The Historical Marker Database
- "St. James Santee Parish Church" in Historical Markers Database at http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=39044 (accessed 28 May 2011).
- "History of the 'Brick Church'" in St. James-Santee Episcopal Church at http://www.stjamesec.org/brickchurch.html (accessed 28 May 2011).
- "The Formation of Counties in South Carolina," at the South Carolina Department of Archives and History website, accessed 21 January 2011.
- "South Carolina Counties and Parishes - 1760" [map] in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Royal_Colony/sc_royal_colony_counties_parishes_1760.html (accessed 28 May 2011).
- "South Carolina Districts and Parishes - 1770" [map] in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Royal_Colony/sc_royal_colony_districts_parishes_1770.html (accessed 28 May 2011).
- "South Carolina Districts and County - 1785" [map] in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Early_Statehood/sc_statehood_1800_districts_counties_1785.html (accessed 28 May 2011).
- "South Carolina Districts - 1800" [map] in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Early_Statehood/sc_statehood_1800_districts_counties_1800.html (accessed 28 May 2011).
- "South Carolina Counties - 1890" [map] in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/1800s/sc_1800s_counties_1890.html (accessed 28 May 2011).
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Saint James Santee Parish, Charleston, South Carolina Computer Printout; Births or Christenings, 1758-1788. FHL Film 883821 Item 17
- Margaretta Childs, and Isabella G. Leland, "South Carolina Episcopal Church Records," South Carolina Historical Magazine 84:257-58.