St. Johns Colleton Parish, South Carolina
Before the American Revolution, the state church of South Carolina was the Church of England (the Anglican Church, or Protestant Episcopal Church). Besides keeping parish registers, the church kept many records of a civil nature in their vestry books. The Vestry was as much a political body as a religious one. The wardens and commissioners were responsible for the roads, education, the poor and orphans, voting and collecting taxes in addition to their church duties.
St. John's Colleton Parish (Rantowles, Charleston, SC) was created in 1730 from the John's Island, Wadmalaw Island, Edisto Island and other adjacent sea islands portion of St. Paul's Parish on the southeast side of Colleton (1682-1768) County.
- An island, borders St. Andrew's, St. Bartholomew's, and St. Paul's parishes. For a map, see: Early parishes in South Carolina. An overlay of districts is available at Carolana.com.
- Jarrell, Lawrence E. Early Colleton, South Carolina Census. Complete Transcription of the Federal Census Records; 1790 Charleston District Census, St. Bartholomew's, St. George's-Dorchester; St. Paul's and St. John's-Colleton Parishes; 1800 Colleton District Census--St. Bartholomew's, St. George's-Dorchester and St. Paul's Parishes; 1810 Colleton District Census. High Point, N.C.: Alligator Creek Genealogy Publications, 1998. FHL Book 975.79 X2j
For an early history of the parish, see Chapter 20, St. John's Parish, Colleton, pages 360-365, in:
- Dalcho, Frederick. An Historical Account of the Protestant Episcopal Church in South Carolina from the First Settlement of the Province, to the War of the Revolution; with Notices of the Present State of the Church in Each Parish and Some Account of the Early Civil History of Carolina, Never Before Published. Charleston: E. Thayer, 1820. FHL Film 22657; digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
St. John's, Colleton has a rich archive of early records, including a list of ministers, officers, act of incorporation, minutes, disbursements. Copies: FHL Film 24513. Other records include accounts, act of incorporation, minutes, list of members, plat of church pews, and other miscellaneous records. Copies: FHL Film 24514. Many of these records were kept at the Bishop's office, St. Philip's Church, Charleston in the 1950s.
- "The Formation of Counties in South Carolina," at the South Carolina Department of Archives and History website, accessed 21 January 2011.
- "South Carolina Counties and Parishes - 1760" [map] in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Royal_Colony/sc_royal_colony_counties_parishes_1760.html (accessed 28 May 2011).
- "St. Paul's, Stono / St. Paul's Churchyard" in Historical Marker Database at http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=39900 (accessed 29 May 2011).
- "Colleton County, South Carolina," Wikipedia, accessed 17 February 2011.