St. Johns Colleton Parish, South Carolina
Before the American Revolution, the state church of South Carolina was the Church of England (the Anglican Church, or Protestant Episcopal Church). Besides keeping parish registers, the church kept many records of a civil nature in their vestry books. The Vestry was as much a political body as a religious one. The wardens and commissioners were responsible for the roads, education, the poor and orphans, voting and collecting taxes in addition to their church duties.
St. John's Colleton Parish (Johns Island, Charleston, SC) was created in 1734 from the John's Island, Wadmalaw Island, Edisto Island and other adjacent sea islands portion of St. Paul's Parish on the southeast side of Colleton (1682-1768) County.
Areas Served: St. John's Colleton Parish served:
- Jarrell, Lawrence E. Early Colleton, South Carolina Census. Complete Transcription of the Federal Census Records; 1790 Charleston District Census, St. Bartholomew's, St. George's-Dorchester; St. Paul's and St. John's-Colleton Parishes; 1800 Colleton District Census--St. Bartholomew's, St. George's-Dorchester and St. Paul's Parishes; 1810 Colleton District Census. High Point, N.C.: Alligator Creek Genealogy Publications, 1998. FHL Book 975.79 X2j
For an early history of the parish, see Chapter 20, St. John's Parish, Colleton, pages 360-365, in:
- Dalcho, Frederick. An Historical Account of the Protestant Episcopal Church in South Carolina from the First Settlement of the Province, to the War of the Revolution; with Notices of the Present State of the Church in Each Parish and Some Account of the Early Civil History of Carolina, Never Before Published. Charleston: E. Thayer, 1820. FHL Film 22657; digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
St. John's, Colleton has a rich archive of early records, including a list of ministers, officers, act of incorporation, minutes, disbursements. Copies: FHL Film 24513. Other records include accounts, act of incorporation, minutes, list of members, plat of church pews, and other miscellaneous records. Copies: FHL Film 24514. Many of these records were kept at the Bishop's office, St. Philip's Church, Charleston in the 1950s.
South Carolina Historical Society holdings: "St. John’s (Episcopal) Church. John’s Island. Minutes, 1734-1917. 3 vols."
- "Vol. 1 (1734-1817) contains copies of forms and oaths for the establishment of religious worship; entries re the poor tax; information re legacies and accounts. Brisbane, Boone, Gibbs, Hanahan, Jenkins, Ladson, and Walpole are names of some of the planters serving on the vestry. Senior Warden in the 1820’s was R. J. Turnbull. In vol. 2 (1817-1874) are copies of the acts incorporating three colonial parishes, St. John’s, St. Bartholomew’s, and St. Helena’s; accounts; correspondence, including Rev. C. H. Hall’s resignation expressing concern for the needs of the bondsmen (Nov. 4, 1856); appointment of Negro churchman to serve as collector of the Bishop’s Fund. Vol. 3 (1874-1927) after 1898 makes frequent reference to Grace Chapel, Rockville, gives detailed treasurer’s reports and, on the fly leaf, a brief list of the church’s financial assets in 1874. Names of well-known sea island families recur: Bailey, Chisholm, Gervais, Grimball, Laroche, Mitchell, Seabrook, Sosnowski, Stevens, Stickney, Whaley, and Wilson."
- [http://www.stjohnsparish.net/ St. John's Parish (Protestant Episcopal Church) website has calendars, ministries, resources and history of Grace Chapel (of ease).
- St. Paul's, Stono / St. Paul's Churchyard highway marker tells how original St. Paul's Parish Church was turned over to the St. John's Colleton Parish.
- "The Formation of Counties in South Carolina," at the South Carolina Department of Archives and History website, accessed 21 January 2011.
- "South Carolina Counties and Parishes - 1760" [map] in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Royal_Colony/sc_royal_colony_counties_parishes_1760.html (accessed 29 May 2011).
- Frederick Dalcho, An Historical Account of the Protestant Episcopal Church in South Carolina from the First Settlement of the Province, to the War of the Revolution: with Notices of the Present State of the Church in Each Parish and Some Account of the Early Civil History of Carolina, Never Before Published (Charleston: E. Thayer, 1820), 360. FHL Film 22657; digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive..
- "South Carolina Districts and Parishes - 1770" [map] in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Royal_Colony/sc_royal_colony_districts_parishes_1770.html (accessed 27 May 2011).
- "South Carolina Districts and County - 1785" [map] in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Early_Statehood/sc_statehood_1800_districts_counties_1785.html (accessed 29 May 2011).
- "South Carolina Districts - 1800" [map] in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Early_Statehood/sc_statehood_1800_districts_counties_1800.html (accessed 29 May 2011).
- "South Carolina Counties - 1900" [map] in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/1800s/sc_1800s_counties_1900.html (accessed 29 May 2011).
- Margaretta Childs, and Isabella G. Leland, "South Carolina Episcopal Church Records," South Carolina Historical Magazine 84:259.