St. Lukes Parish, South Carolina
Many Episcopalian St. Luke's parishioners attended St. Helena's, and their christenings, marriages, and deaths were registered there until 1786 when their St. Luke's Parish church was finished in Pritchardville. In 1824 a new church was constructed half a mile north of the first. In 1875 the new building was sold to the Methodists. That building is also known as the Bull Hill Church or St. Luke's Methodist Church.
The Episcopalian Zion Chapel of Ease, Hilton Head Island, belonged to St. Luke's Parish. The Church of the Holy Trinity, which is now located in Jasper County, also served as a chapel of ease for St. Luke's parishioners.
Before the American Revolution, the state church of South Carolina was the Church of England (the Anglican Church, or Protestant Episcopal Church). Besides keeping parish registers, the church kept many records of a civil nature in their vestry books. The Vestry was as much a political body as a religious one. The wardens and commissioners were responsible for the roads, education, the poor and orphans, voting and collecting taxes in addition to their church duties.
- Borders Prince William, St. Matthew's, and St. Peter's parishes. For a map, see: Early parishes in South Carolina. An overlay of districts is available at Carolana.com.
For an early history of the parish, see Chapter 25, St. Luke's Parish, pages 387-388, in:
- Dalcho, Frederick. An Historical Account of the Protestant Episcopal Church in South Carolina from the First Settlement of the Province, to the War of the Revolution; with Notices of the Present State of the Church in Each Parish and Some Account of the Early Civil History of Carolina, Never Before Published. Charleston: E. Thayer, 1820. FHL Film 22657; digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
- Church of the Holy Trinity Marker, The Historical Marker Database
- Zion Chapel of Ease and Cemetery, The Historical Marker Database
- "St. Luke's Parish" in Heritage Library Foundation at http://www.heritagelib.org/articles/st-luke-s-parish (accessed 3 June 2011).
- Zion Chapel of Ease and Cemetery, The Historical Marker Database, accessed 17 February 2011.
- Church of the Holy Trinity Marker, The Historical Marker Database, 17 February 2011.
- "The Formation of Counties in South Carolina," at the South Carolina Department of Archives and History website, accessed 21 January 2011.
- "South Carolina Counties and Parishes - 1760" [map] in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Royal_Colony/sc_royal_colony_counties_parishes_1760.html (accessed 29 May 2011).
- "South Carolina Districts and Parishes - 1770" [map] in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Royal_Colony/sc_royal_colony_districts_parishes_1770.html (accessed 27 May 2011).
- Frederick Dalcho, An Historical Account of the Protestant Episcopal Church in South Carolina from the First Settlement of the Province, to the War of the Revolution: with Notices of the Present State of the Church in Each Parish and Some Account of the Early Civil History of Carolina, Never Before Published (Charleston: E. Thayer, 1820), 360. FHL Film 22657; digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive..