St. Marks Parish, South Carolina

From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 02:41, 11 May 2011 by DiltsGD (talk | contribs) (colonial parishes)

Jump to: navigation, search

United States  Gotoarrow.png  South Carolina  Gotoarrow.png  St. Mark's Parish


St. Mark's Parish has served historic Craven County and Camden District. At present, it falls within the political jurisdiction of Sumter county.

South Carolina's "Anglican parishes were used as election districts and had responsibility for road development, care of the poor, and education."[1]


  • 1757




Select graves from St. Mark's Parish Church Cemetery are described at Find A Grave.

The tombstones at Richardson Cemetery, a private burial ground within the parish, have been transcribed:

  • "Tombstone Inscriptions, Richardson Cemetery: Located in Old St. Mark's Parish; Four Miles Southeast of Remini, Clarendon County, S.C.," The South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Vol. 28, No. 1 (Jan. 1927):55-68. Digital version at JSTOR ($).

Parish History

  • Burgess, James M. Chronicles of St. Mark's Parish, Santee Circuit, and Williamsburg Township, South Carolina. Columbia, S.C.: Charles A. Calvo, Jr., Printer, 1888. Digital version at Google Books; FHL Film 908980 Item 9
  • Richardson, Thomas E. The Parish of St. Mark. FHL Film 954248 Item 9.

For an early history of the parish, see Chapter 13, St. Mark's Parish, pages 323-325, in:

  • Dalcho, Frederick. An Historical Account of the Protestant Episcopal Church in South Carolina from the First Settlement of the Province, to the War of the Revolution; with Notices of the Present State of the Church in Each Parish and Some Account of the Early Civil History of Carolina, Never Before Published. Charleston: E. Thayer, 1820. FHL Film 22657; digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.

Parish Records



  1. "The Formation of Counties in South Carolina," at the South Carolina Department of Archives and History website, accessed 21 January 2011.