St. Marks Parish, South Carolina
Before the American Revolution, the state church of South Carolina was the Church of England (the Anglican Church, or Protestant Episcopal Church). Besides keeping parish registers, the church kept many records of a civil nature in their vestry books. The Vestry was as much a political body as a religious one. The wardens and commissioners were responsible for the roads, education, the poor and orphans, voting and collecting taxes in addition to their church duties.
St. Mark's Parish (originally in Summerton, Clarendon, SC, now near Pinewood, Sumter, SC) was created in 1757 from the northwest side of Prince Frederick Parish on the far northwest side of Craven County.
Borders: Prince Frederick and St. Stephen's parishes on the southeast, St. John's Berkeley Parish in Berkeley (1682-1768) County on the southwest, and the North Carolina line on the northeast. In 1767 the northwest half of the parish was split off into St. David's Parish. In 1768 St. Matthew's Parish in Orangeburgh District, and St. James Goose Creek became the southwest border. For a map, see: Early parishes in South Carolina. An overlay of districts is available at Carolana.com.
Areas Served: St. Mark's Parish served:
- part of Craven County 1757-1768
- parts of Camden, Cheraw, and Georgetown districts 1768-1800
- parts of Richland, Claremont, Darlington, Liberty, Williamsburg counties, and all of Clarendon County 1785-1799
- part of Salem County 1792-1799
- Liberty County became Marion County 1798-1799
- parts of Richland, Sumter, Darlington, Marion, Williamsburg counties 1800-present
- Clarendon County 1855-present
- part of Florence County 1888-present
- part of Lee County 1902-present
Select graves from St. Mark's Parish Church Cemetery are described at Find A Grave.
The tombstones at Richardson Cemetery, a private burial ground within the parish, have been transcribed:
- "Tombstone Inscriptions, Richardson Cemetery: Located in Old St. Mark's Parish; Four Miles Southeast of Remini, Clarendon County, S.C.," The South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Vol. 28, No. 1 (Jan. 1927):55-68. Digital version at JSTOR ($).
- Burgess, James M. Chronicles of St. Mark's Parish, Santee Circuit, and Williamsburg Township, South Carolina. Columbia, S.C.: Charles A. Calvo, Jr., Printer, 1888. Digital version at Google Books; FHL Film 908980 Item 9
- Richardson, Thomas E. The Parish of St. Mark. FHL Film 954248 Item 9.
For an early history of the parish, see Chapter 13, St. Mark's Parish, pages 323-325, in:
- Dalcho, Frederick. An Historical Account of the Protestant Episcopal Church in South Carolina from the First Settlement of the Province, to the War of the Revolution; with Notices of the Present State of the Church in Each Parish and Some Account of the Early Civil History of Carolina, Never Before Published. Charleston: E. Thayer, 1820. FHL Film 22657; digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
- St. Mark's Episcopal Church Marker, The Historical Marker Database
- "The Formation of Counties in South Carolina," at the South Carolina Department of Archives and History website, accessed 21 January 2011.
- Wikipedia contributors, "St. Mark's Episcopal Church (Pinewood, South Carolina)" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Mark%27s_Episcopal_Church_%28Pinewood,_South_Carolina%29 (accessed 6 June 2011).
- "South Carolina Counties and Parishes - 1760" [map] in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Royal_Colony/sc_royal_colony_counties_parishes_1760.html (accessed 6 June 2011).
- "South Carolina Districts and Parishes - 1770" [map] in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Royal_Colony/sc_royal_colony_districts_parishes_1770.html (accessed 6 June 2011).
- "South Carolina Districts and County - 1785" [map] in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Early_Statehood/sc_statehood_1800_districts_counties_1785.html (accessed 6 June 2011).