St. Patrick Parish, Georgia

From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 16:56, 27 March 2012 by Murphynw (talk | contribs) (Created page with "''United States RTENOTITLE Georgia RTENOTITLE St. Patrick Parish'' Before the Am...")

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

United States RTENOTITLE Georgia RTENOTITLE St. Patrick Parish

Before the American Revolution, the state church of Georgia was the Church of England (the Anglican Church, or Protestant Episcopal Church). Besides keeping parish registers, the church kept many records of a civil nature in their vestry books. The Vestry was as much a political body as a religious one. The wardens and commissioners were responsible for the roads, education, the poor and orphans, voting and collecting taxes in addition to their church duties.

Founded

St. Patrick Parish (location, GA) was officially created in 1765 as an original colonial parish.

Boundary

Borders: St. David, St. James, and St. Thomas parishes. For a map, see: Map of Georgia's Colonial Parishes (courtesy: GeorgiaInfo).

Areas Served: St. Patrick Parish served: FIX

Modern equivalent: The original parish covered part of what is present-day county.

Resources

Cemetery

Parish History

Parish Records

Websites

References