St. Paul-s or Mariners Free Presbyterian Church--Dundee Angus Parish -282
This Church was also known as the Mariner's Free Church. The history is given for the churches as well as the different types of records with the various year ranges, notes and sources, and membership records with the number that belonged to the congregation for a given year.
At the request of many elders, members and adherents of the Free Church in the parishes of St. Mary's, St. Paul's, St. Clement's and Greyfriars, the ministers of which did not come out at the Disruption, the Presbytery organized them as a congregation and a temporary place of worship was secured. It was arranged that the Central congregation should worship along with Mariners' congregation. An old Original Secession church was bought, and a minister settled. Difficulties arose over the constitution of the Mariners Church. By order of Assembly in 1850, the church was sold and the congregation was sanctioned as an ordinary charge, apart from the former constitution, under the name of St. Paul's. The Mariners church was rented until their church at the Nethergate was opened in 1852.
- 1855, 440
- 1900, 517.
- Annals of the Free Church of Scotland, 1843–1900, ed. Rev. William Ewing, D.D., 2 vols. pub. 1914. Film #918572. More details may be given in the source.
- Session Minutes 1838–1883, 1893–1917
- Baptismal Register 1848–1913
- Deacons Court Minutes 1843–1909
Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/333.