St. Paul Parish, Georgia

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
United States
Georgia
St. Paul Parish

Before the American Revolution, the state church of Georgia was the Church of England (the Anglican Church, or Protestant Episcopal Church). Besides keeping parish registers, the church kept many records of a civil nature in their vestry books. The Vestry was as much a political body as a religious one. The wardens and commissioners were responsible for the roads, education, the poor and orphans, voting and collecting taxes in addition to their church duties.

Founded

St. Paul Parish (location, GA) was officially created in 1758 as an original colonial parish.

Boundary

Borders: Ceded lands and St. George parishes. For a map, see: Map of Georgia's Colonial Parishes (courtesy: GeorgiaInfo).

Areas Served: St. Paul Parish served:

Modern equivalent: The original parish covered part of what is present-day county.

Resources

Cemetery

Land

  • Alden Associates. Ceded Lands Records of St. Paul Parish and Early Wilkes Co., Ga. Albany, Ga., n.d.

Parish History

Parish Records

Websites

References