St. Stephens Parish, King and Queen, Virginia
St. Stephen's Parish has served King and Queen County, Virginia.
Apple Tree Church, also known as St. Clement's Church, served as St. Stephen's Parish's upper church in the eighteenth century.
"An Act for dividing Saint Stephen's Parish, in the County of King and Queen" (1723) culled from Colonial Office at the National Archives in London, is published in:
- Chamberlayne, Churchill G. "Seven Parish Acts Heretofore Unpublished," The William and Mary Quarterly, Vol. 18, No. 1 (Jan. 1938):106-118. FHL Book 973 H25w; digital version at JSTOR ($).
An early petition from St. Stephen's Parish, dated 1683, identifies many of the parishioners at that time. It has been analyzed and abstracted:
- "A Petition of the Inhabitants and Housekeepers of St. Stephen's Parish in the County of New Kent,"
The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. 41, No. 3 (Jul., 1933), pp. 196-203. FHL Book 975.5 B2v; digital version at JSTOR ($).
- Brydon, G. MacLaren. "Correction: A Petition of the Inhabitants and Housekeepers of St. Stephen's Parish in the County of New Kent," The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. 41, No. 4 (Oct. 1933):309. FHL Book 975.5 B2v; digital version at JSTOR ($).
- Fleet, Beverley. King and Queen County. Baltimore: Genealogical Pub. Co., 1961. Digital version at Ancestry ($). [Includes St. Stephens Parish Petition 1683.]
- Apple Tree Church, The Historical Marker Database
- Freddie Spradlin, "Parishes of Virginia," VAGenWeb, accessed 29 January 2011; Hening's Statutes at Large; Emily J. Salmon and Edward D.C. Campbell Jr., The Hornbook of Virginia History (Richmond: Library of Virginia, 1994).