St. Thomas and St. Denis Parish, South Carolina

From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 22:58, 7 February 2011 by Murphynw (talk | contribs) (history)

Jump to: navigation, search

United States  Gotoarrow.png  South Carolina  Gotoarrow.png  St. Thomas and St. Denis Parish

History

St. Thomas and St. Denis Parish serves [blank] County, South Carolina

In the Colonial period, many Huguenots attended this church. It was the first South Carolina parish church built outside of Charleston.[1]

South Carolina's "Anglican parishes were used as election districts and had responsibility for road development, care of the poor, and education."[2]

Founded

  • 1706

Boundary

Resources

Church History

For a history of the parish, see Chapter 8, Parish of St. Thomas and St. Dennis, pages 284-294, in:

  • Dalcho, Frederick. An Historical Account of the Protestant Episcopal Church in South Carolina from the First Settlement of the Province, to the War of the Revolution; with Notices of the Present State of the Church in Each Parish and Some Account of the Early Civil History of Carolina, Never Before Published. Charleston: E. Thayer, 1820. FHL Film 22657; digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.

Church Records

References

  1. Frederick Dalcho, An Historical Account of the Protestant Episcopal Church in South Carolina from the First Settlement of the Province, to the War of the Revolution; with Notices of the Present State of the Church in Each Parish and Some Account of the Early Civil History of Carolina, Never Before Published (Charleston: E. Thayer, 1820), 284.
  2. "The Formation of Counties in South Carolina," at the South Carolina Department of Archives and History website, accessed 21 January 2011.