St Ann and St Agnes with St John Zachary, London Genealogy
St Ann and St Agnes with St John Zachary, the church of, is ont eh north side of St Ann's Lane, at the northern extremity of the New Post office in St Martin's le Grand, and receives its name from being dedicated to St Ann, the mother of the Virgin Mary, and its addition from its situation as being formerly diesignated St Ann in the Willows, from the number of trees of that species which grew in that neighbourhood. The foundation of this church is very ancient, and mention of it as so in 1322. It is a rectory, and the patronage was formerly in the dean and canons of the conventual church of St Martin's le Grand, until that corporation was annexed to the Abbey of Westminster, became patrons. Ont he supporession of teh bishopric of Westminster by Queen Mary, she gave it to the Bishop of London and his successors, in whom it still remains, alternately, with the dean and chapeter of St Paul's [Cathedral]. The old church was destroyed by the fire of London, and the presnet church was erected on its site by Sir Christopher Wren in 1680, and the parish of St John Zachary united to it. The interior is 53 feet square, and 35 feet high, and is sub-divided into a smaller square in the centre by four handsome Corintian columns, which support an ornamented ceiling...
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
- 1541 London Subsidy Roll, Aldersgate Ward - Seynt Annes Perryshe, courtesy: British History Online
- 1541 London Subsidy Roll, Aldersgate Ward - Seynt John Zacharies Paryshe, courtesy: British History Online
- 1541 London Subsidy Roll, Cripplegate Ward - Parte of the Parish of Seynt John Zacharys, courtesy: British History Online
- 1582 London Subsidy Roll, Aldersgate Ward - St Anne and Agnes Parish, courtesy: British History Online
- 1582 London Subsidy Roll, Aldersgate Ward - St John Zacharyes Parish, courtesy: British History Online
- 1582 London Subsidy Roll, Cripplegate Ward - St John Zacharies Parishe, courtesy: British History Online
- London Subsidy Roll, c.1589 - St. Annes Parishe, courtesy: Family History Archives (see page 148)
- London Subsidy Roll, c.1589 - St. John Zacharies Parishe, courtesy: Family History Archives (see page 148)
1638 Inhabitants List
Add unique information about the censuses. Add links to online census records, and/or link to the Family History Library film/fiche numbers.
Contributor: Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to London Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- London Family History Centre Catalogue (St Ann and St Agnes Parish records)
- London Family History Centre Catalogue (St John Zachary Parish records)
- Society of Genealogists Library Catalogue (to narrow results, conduct a subject search for 'London St Ann and St Agnes' or 'London St John Zachary')
- James Elmes, M.R. I. A., Architect, A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Envirions (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted. Digital version: Google Books.