St Botolph without Bishopsgate, Middlesex Genealogy
- 1 Church records
- 2 Census records
- 3 Probate records
- 4 Civil Registration
- 5 Cemetery
- 6 Records of the Poor
- 7 Parish History
- 8 Maps and Gazetteers
- 9 Websites
- 10 References
- Hallen, A.W. Cornelius. The Registers of St. Botolph, Bishopsgate, London. 3 vols. 1889. Vol. I (marriages 1558-1753, baptisms 1558-1628, burials 1558-1628); Vol. II (burials 1628-1725): digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive; Vol. III (baptisms 1628-1690): digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
- Hallen, A.W. Cornelius. An Account of the Old Registers of St. Botolph Bishopsgate. London, 1886. Digital version at Internet Archive.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
- 1541 London Subsidy Roll, Bishopsgate Ward - The Parisshe of Saint Botulf, courtesy: British History Online
- St Botolph, Bishopsgate, Bishopsgate Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/145/139); copy: FHL Film 2228700.
- St Botolph, Bishopsgate, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/147/511); copy: FHL Film 2228703.
1638 Inhabitants List
1692-1932 Land Taxes
The 1811 Census exists.
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
Will indexes for probate courts covering St Botolph Bishopsgate Parish are available online.
Before 1858, St Botolph without Bishopsgate, Middlesex Genealogy fell under the jurisdiction of the Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London. From 1858 to the present, refer to the Principal Probate Registry.
Go to London Probate Records to find the names of the courts having secondary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records.
Over the years, St Botolph without Bishopsgate has belonged to several civil registration districts:
There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Transcripts of early St Botolph without Bishopsgate, Middlesex Genealogy tombs found in the interior of the church were published in Catalogue of the most Memorable Persons who had visible Tombs, plated Gravestones ... in the City of London (through) A.D. 1700, which is available online.
Records of the Poor
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
Also known as St Botolph Bishopsgate Parish as well as St Botolph Bishopgate Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites(The London Family History Centre Catalogue is a terrific resource for identifying FamilySearch's London collections).
- London Family History Centre Catalogue
- Parish & Ward Church of St. Botolph without Bishopsgate (official website). Family history tips, photographs of the monuments within the church, history, virtual tour, visitor directions.
- Sketch of St Botolph without Bishopsgate Parish Church, courtesy: London Ancestor
- Society of Genealogists Library Catalogue (to narrow results, conduct a subject search for 'London St Botolph without Bishopsgate')
- London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Botolph, Bishopsgate in the City of London. Marriages from 1754 to 1812 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Botolph without Bishopsgate in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Botolph without Bishopsgate in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Botolph without Bishopsgate in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- Batches P001611 (1558-1690, inactive 11/2/2012), C001612, C001613, C001614, C001615, C001616, C001617, C001618, C001619, C037171, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (A-M), England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 8 June 2011.
- Batches M001611-M001612, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (A-M), England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 8 June 2011.
- A.W. Cornelius Hallen, The Registers of St. Botolph, Bishopsgate, London (1889). Vol. I (marriages 1558-1753, baptisms 1558-1628, burials 1558-1628); Vol. II (burials 1628-1725): digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive; Vol. III (baptisms 1628-1690): digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
- 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net, accessed 12 June 2011; Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists Enterprises Ltd., 1994). FHL Book 942 K22L 1994
- 'London Parish Record Transcripts,' The Genealogist, accessed 12 December 2011.
- 'Webb's London Marriages - Marriages, periods and parishes/churches,' (Wayback Machine) British Origins, accessed 4 July 2011.
- 'Boyd's London Burials Index - places and counts,' Find My Past, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes adult male burials only.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm
- John Hanson, 'City of London Burials,' Find My Past, accessed 8 June 2011.
- Colin R. Chapman, Pre-1841 Censuses and Population Listings in the British Isles, 5th ed. (Dursley, U.K.: Lochin Publising, 2002), 68.
- "Registration Districts in England and Wales (1837-1974)," GENUKI, http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/index.html, accessed 13 January 2012.
- Payne Fisher and G. Blacker Morgan, Catalogue of the Tombs in the Churches of the City of London, A.D. 1666 (1668; reprint, London: Hasell, Watson, Viney, Ld., 1885). Digitised by Internet Archive.
- Percy C. Rushden, The Churchyard Inscriptions of the City of London (London: Phillimore and Co., Ltd., 1910). Digitised by Internet Archive.
- James Elmes, A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Environs (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted. Digitised by Google Books.