St Botolph without Bishopsgate, Middlesex Genealogy
"St Botolph without Bishopsgate, the church of, is situated on the Westside Bishopsgate Street Without and nearly opposite the western end of Houndsditch. The ancient Church of this name was of very ancient foundation, and received its name from the before mentioned Anglo-Saxon Saint, who died about the year 680. The first authentic account of this church is in 1323, when John de Northhampton resigned rectorship which then was and still is in the gift of the Bishop of London. The old church which stood upon the bank of the ancient city ditch escaped the fire of London but became so ruinous that it was taken down in 1726, and rebuilt from the designs of the elder George Dance. Was finished in 1729, and is a spacious, substantial, and well-built structure. The spire is peculiarly handsome, and with that of Shoreditch, by the same architect, among the best since the days of Wren. The east end, which is next the street, is decorated with Doric pilasters, and a large window, with entrance doors at the sides, which excited much criticism at the time of its completion. It arises from the circumstances of necessity of placing the altar always at the east end, which, in this instance deprived the principal front of the advantage of a grand central door. The living is a rectory in the gift of the King and the Bishop of London..."
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
|Online St Botolph without Bishopsgate Parish Register Images and Indexes|
|Images||1558-1812 Ancestry baptisms, marriages, and burials|
|1628-1690||Google Books|| 1629-1640
- Hallen, A.W. Cornelius. The Registers of St. Botolph, Bishopsgate, London. 3 vols. 1889. Vol. I (marriages 1558-1753, baptisms 1558-1628, burials 1558-1628); Vol. II (burials 1628-1725): digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive; Vol. III (baptisms 1628-1690): digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
- Hallen, A.W. Cornelius. An Account of the Old Registers of St. Botolph Bishopsgate. London, 1886. Digital version at Internet Archive.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
- 1541 London Subsidy Roll, Bishopsgate Ward - The Parisshe of Saint Botulf, courtesy: British History Online
1638 Inhabitants List
Contributor: Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Middlesex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- London Family History Centre Catalogue
- Parish & Ward Church of St. Botolph without Bishopsgate (official website). Family history tips, photographs of the monuments within the church, history, virtual tour, visitor directions.
- Sketch of St Botolph without Bishopsgate Parish Church, courtesy: London Ancestor
- Society of Genealogists Library Catalogue (to narrow results, conduct a subject search for 'London St Botolph without Bishopsgate')
- James Elmes, M.R. I. A., Architect, A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Environs (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted. Digital version: Google Books.
- London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as St Botolph, Bishopsgate in the City of London. Marriages from 1754 to 1812 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as St Botolph without Bishopsgate in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as St Botolph without Bishopsgate in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as St Botolph without Bishopsgate in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- Batches P001611, C001612-C001619, C037171, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (A-M), England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes parish register xxx.
- Batches M001611-M001612, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (A-M), England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes parish register xxx.
- A.W. Cornelius Hallen, The Registers of St. Botolph, Bishopsgate, London (1889). Vol. I (marriages 1558-1753, baptisms 1558-1628, burials 1558-1628); Vol. II (burials 1628-1725): digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive; Vol. III (baptisms 1628-1690): digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
- "Webb's London Marriages - Marriages, periods and parishes/churches," British Origins, accessed 4 July 2011.
- "Boyd's London Burials Index - places and counts," Find My Past, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes adult male burials only.
- "Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county," Origins.net, accessed 12 June 2011; Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists Enterprises Ltd., 1994). FHL Book 942 K22L 1994
- John Hanson, "City of London Burials," Find My Past, accessed 8 June 2011.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm