Difference between revisions of "St Dunstan in the East, London Genealogy"
|Line 101:||Line 101:|
== References ==
== References ==
Revision as of 22:43, 30 June 2011
St Dunstan in the East, the church of, is situated between Idol Lane and St. Dunstan's Hill, Tower Street, the latter of which is carried from the south side of the lofty tower and spire of the church southwards into Thames Street opposite the eastern wing of the customhouse. The ancient Church was damaged by the great fire of 1666, and was shortly after repaired but the elegant spire and tower were not finished till 1699. The body of the Church, having been only repaired by Sir Christopher Wren, having fallen into much decay, it was taken down and rebuilt in 1821... The patronage of this living was anciently in the prior and canons of Canterbury, who in 1365 granted it to Simon Islip, their archbishop and his successors. It is directory, and one of the 13 peculiar churches of the arch episcopal see of Canterbury.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
|Online St Dunstan in the East Parish Register Images and Indexes|
|Images||1558-1812 Ancestry baptisms, marriages, and burials|
To find the names of the neighboring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Contributor: Include an overview if there is many unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish.
Before 1858, probate matters for St Dunstan in the East residents were handled by the Court of the Deanery of the Arches.
Go to London Probate Records to find the name of the court having secondary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- London Family History Centre Catalogue (St Dunstan in the East Parish Church records)
- Sketch of St Dunstan in the East Parish Church, courtesy: London Ancestor
- Society of Genealogists Library Catalogue (to narrow results, conduct a subject search for 'London St Dunstan in the East')
- James Elmes, M.R. I. A., Architect, A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Environs (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted. Digital version: Google Books.
- London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as St Dunstan in the East in the City of London. Marriages from 1754 to 1812 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as St Dunstan in the East in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as St Dunstan in the East in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as St Dunstan in the East in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- Batches P001431-P001432, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (A-M), England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes microfilmed parish registers.
- Batches M001431, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (A-M), England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes parish register transcripts and microfilmed parish registers.
- "Boyd's London Burials Index - places and counts," Find My Past, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes adult male burials only.
- "Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county," Origins.net, accessed 12 June 2011; Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists Enterprises Ltd., 1994). FHL Book 942 K22L 1994
- John Hanson, "City of London Burials," Find My Past, accessed 8 June 2011.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm