St George in the East St George, Middlesex Genealogy
'St George in the East, the church of, is situated on the north side of Ratclffie Highway, near the corner of Cannon Street. It is one of the fifty new churches appointed to be erected by act of parliament, in the reign of Queen Anne. It was began [sic] from the designs of Nicholas Hawksmoor, in 1715, and finished in 1729. The parish was taken from that of St Dunstan, Stepney (see that church), and was in all respects rendered an independent parish. The architecture is an original and massive style, like all of its eminent architect, and the spire of towe is eminently picturesque.
'The church is a rectory, the patronage of which, like that of Stepney, is in the Principals and Scholars of King's Hall and Brazenose College Oxford. It is in the county of Middlesex, in the diocese of London, exempt from archidiaconal visitation... There is a district church [Note: see below list of chapels in this parish] now building in the parish, the patronage of which will be in the rector of the parish.'
1. James Elmes, M.R. I. A., Architect. In “A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Envirions,” (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted.
Here is a complete list of all those district churches and chapelries lying within the boundaries of St George in the East, St George:
- St George in the East, Christ Church Watney Street- 1841
- St George in the East St Mary Cabel Street - 1842
- Good Shepherd Chapel, Watts St Stepney - 1857
- St George in the East w/ St. Matthew, Pell St* (Princes Square) - 1729 (see above "History"
- St John the Evangelist in the East, Grove Street - 1870
- St Mary, Johnson Street - 1850
- St Peter Old Gravel Lane, London Docks - 1866 (part from Shadwell)
- East London Mission of the Jews, Commercial Rd - 1892
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438811.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Middlesex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as St George in the East in Tower Hamlets Borough. Marriages from 1754 to 1812 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as St George in the East in Tower Hamlets Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as St George in the East in Tower Hamlets Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as St George in the East in Tower Hamlets Borough. Partially indexed.
- Batches C055781, C055782, C055783, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (N-Z), England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 10 March 2012. Indexes parish register xx.
- 'Online Parish Register Search,' ParishRegister.com, accessed 12 March 2012.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm