St Gerrans, Cornwall Genealogy
Guide to St Gerrans, Cornwall family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
GERRANS (St. Gurons), a parish, in the union of Truro, W. division of the hundred of Powder and of the county of Cornwall, 4 miles (N.) from St. Mawes. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans. 
St Gerrans is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall. St Anthony in Roseland, Cornwall was a chapelry of St Gerrans.Other places in the parish include: Porthscatho and Porthskatho.
The church(dedicated to St Gerent or Gerendus) was built in the 13th century and enlarged in the 15th century when the south and aisle and the tower topped with a spire were added. However, in 1849 everything except the tower was rebuilt (by William White of Truro) though this was done as closely as possible to the original church. The two-stage tower is buttressed, battlemented, and topped by a spire
The manor of Tregear belonged to the Bishops of Exeter in mediaeval times and Gerent may have had a castle (Dingerein or Dinurrin) here.
St Gerrans, Cornwall Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|St Gerrans, Cornwall Genealogy Parish Online Records|
Images of parish registers are available online in historic records (formerly Record Search) Images refer to Cornwall County Record Office reference: P 70
The images loaded represent only part of the microfilm holding for the parish.
Parish registers 1538-1970 were microfilmed in 1960-2003. Due to quality of images re-filming took place as follows
|Baptisms, 1538-1812; marriages, 1538-1837; banns, 1754-1785; burials, 1538-1925.|| FHL BRITISH Film |
|Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1538-1798. Marriages, 1754-1812. Baptisms and burials, 1799-1812. Marriages, 1813-1836. Burials, 1813-1900. Baptisms, 1813-1900. (another filming)|| FHL BRITISH Film |
1595534 Items 17 - 23
|Banns, 1836-1911.|| FHL BRITISH Film |
2276115 Item 16
|Marriages, 1837-1900. Banns, 1836-1900. (another filming)|| FHL BRITISH Film |
1595535 Items 1 - 2
|Baptisms, 1813-1970 (another filming to 1959). Burials, 1813-1925 (another filming).|| FHL BRITISH Film |
2276146 Items 9 - 10
|Baptisms, burials, 1538-1727; marriages, 1738-1726 (another filming).|| VAULT BRITISH Film |
2276184 Item 2
Cornwall Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource is the Cornwall Online Parish Clerks page for the parish http://www.cornwall-opc.org/Par_new/e_g/gerrans.php
The history, registers and much more have been contributed by the Online Parish clerk for Gerrans.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis,Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 287-291. Date accessed: 06 March 2013.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 21 November 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- 'Coverage by Parish,' Cornwall Online Parish Clerks, accessed 2 December 2013.
- 'Database Coverage,' Cornwall Parish Register Index, accessed 1 February 2014.
- 'Cornwall Baptisms', Find My Past, accessed 22 November 2013.
- 'Cornwall Marriages', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- 'Cornwall Burials', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- Cornwall Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 18 November 2013.
- 'England, Cornwall and Devon Parish Registers, 1538-2010', FamilySearch, accessed 26 November 2013.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Cornwall, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 21 November 2013.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.