St James Garlickhithe, London Genealogy
London St James Garlickhithe family history and genealogy research page. Guide to parish registers (baptisms, christenings, marriages, and burials), civil registration (births, marriages, and deaths), census records, history, wills, cemetery, online transcriptions and indexes, an interactive map and website resources.
- 1 Church records
- 2 Census records
- 3 Civil Registration
- 4 Probate records
- 5 Cemetery
- 6 Records of the Poor
- 7 Parish History
- 8 Maps and Gazetteers
- 9 Web sites
- 10 References
Webb published an index to burials for the years 1813 to 1853.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
- St James Garlickhithe, Vintry Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/145/157); copy: FHL Film 2228700.
- St James Garlickhithe, Vintry Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/147/543); copy: FHL Film 2228703.
1638 Inhabitants List
- St James Garlickhithe, Vintry Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/147/590 Part 8); copy: FHL Film 2228704.
1692-1932 Land Taxes
1695 Inhabitants Lists
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Will indexes for probate courts covering St James Garlickhithe Parish are available online.
Before 1858, St James Garlickhithe, London Genealogy fell under the jurisdiction of the Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London. From 1858 to the present, refer to the Principal Probate Registry.
Go to London Probate Records to find the names of the courts having secondary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish.
Transcripts of early St James Garlickhithe, London Genealogy tombs found in the interior of the church were published in Catalogue of the most Memorable Persons who had visible Tombs, plated Gravestones ... in the City of London (through) A.D. 1700, which is available online.
Records of the Poor
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
- 1100s - first mentioned
- 1535 - first baptism recorded in English parish registers occurred at this church
- 1666 - church destroyed in Great Fire of London
- 1676-1683 - church rebuilt
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Web sites(The London Family History Centre Catalogue is a terrific resource for identifying FamilySearch's London collections).
- London Family History Centre Catalogue
- Sketch of St. James Garlickhithe Parish Church, courtesy: London Ancestor
- Society of Genealogists Library Catalogue (to narrow results, conduct a subject search for 'London St James Garlickhithe')
- London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St James Garlickhithe in the City of London. Marriages from 1754 to 1812 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St James Garlickhithe in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St James Garlickhithe in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St James Garlickhithe in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- Batches C022492-C022493, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (A-M), England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 8 June 2011.
- 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net, accessed 12 June 2011; Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists Enterprises Ltd., 1994). FHL Book 942 K22L 1994
- John Hanson, 'City of London Burials,' Find My Past, accessed 8 June 2011.
- Batch M022491, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (A-M), England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 8 June 2011.
- 'Greater London Burials: Middlesex and City of London Burials: Parishes, Counts and References,' (Wayback Machine) British Origins (£), accessed 4 April 2013.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm
- Cliff Webb, Some London Burials, Post-1812 (1979). FHL Book 942.1/L1 K29w.
- Payne Fisher and G. Blacker Morgan, Catalogue of the Tombs in the Churches of the City of London, A.D. 1666 (1668; reprint, London: Hasell, Watson, Viney, Ld., 1885). Digitised by Internet Archive.
- Percy C. Rushden, The Churchyard Inscriptions of the City of London (London: Phillimore and Co., Ltd., 1910). Digitised by Internet Archive.
- James Elmes, A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Environs (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted. Digitised by Google Books.