St Lawrence Jewry with St Mary Magdalene Milk Street, London Genealogy
"St Lawrence Jewry with St Mary Magdalene Milk Street, it is situated at the southwest corner Guildhall Yard and at Cateaton Street . It derives its name has been dedicated to St. Lawrence, a Spanish saint...[and of it's location] near the Jewry. In the ancient church on the site was a rectory, which being given by Henry de Wickenbroke to Balliol College, in 1294, directory ceased, and Richard Bishop of London, converted it into a vicarage, and the patronage still continues with the master and scholars of that college. It was destroyed by the great fire of 1666, and was rebuilt by Sir Christopher Wren, at the expense of the parishioners, assisted by a very liberal benefaction by Sir John Langham. The parish of St. Mary, Magdalene, Milk Street, was united in to it by an act of parliament, and the church was finished in 1676. The present church is a handsome building of the Corinthian order, and the east end, next Guildhall Yard, is a composition of or Corinthian columns, with niches and festoons of fruit. On the summit of the steeple, is a vane in the form of a gridiron, illustrative of St. Lawrence's martyrdom. The interior is rich, and beautifully decorated with elaborately modeled stucco ornaments, and has several monuments to celebrated persons. It is 81 feet long, 68 broad, and 48 high. This church is occasionally used Bo and Walbrook churches [which see, respectively, St. Mary le Bow and Stephen Walbrook] for corporation sermons. The advowson of this church is a vicarage, and in that of its sister parish of St. Mary Magdalene, Milk Street, is a rectory, and to the patronage is alternately with Baliol College and the dean and chapter of St. Paul's. It is in the city in archdeaconry of London..."
[Adapted from: "Topographical Dictionary of London" by James Elmes; published 1831]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
To find the names of the neighboring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
- Inhabitants of London in 1638 - St Lawrence, Old Jewry, courtesy: British History Online
- Inhabitants of London in 1638 - St Mary Maudlin, Milk Street, courtesy: British History Online
- Hearth Tax: City of London 1666 - St Lawrence Jewry, courtesy: British History Online
Contributor: Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Middlesex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Society of Genealogists Library Catalogue (to narrow results, conduct a subject search for 'London St Lawrence Jewry' or 'St Mary Magdalen Milk Street')