St Martha, Surrey Genealogy
St Martha, Surrey family history and genealogy research page. Guide to parish registers (baptisms, christenings, marriages, and burials), civil registration (births, marriages, and deaths), census records, history, wills, cemetery, online transcriptions and indexes, an interactive map and website resources.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Surrey Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
'MARTHA, ST., ON-THE-HILL, or Martyr-Hill, a parish, in the union of Hambledon, First division of the hundred of Blackheath, W. division of Surrey, 2¾ miles (S. E.) from Guildford; containing 193 inhabitants. This parish is called Martyr-Hill from a tradition that in the early ages some Christians were burnt by the Pagan Britons on the site where the church now stands. It contains 1070 acres, and in point of picturesque beauty is almost unrivalled. The living is a donative; net income, £25; patron and impropriator, W. Tinkler, Esq. The church occupies a bleak situation on a high hill about a mile from Chilworth, the small village of the parish: it was formerly an extensive cruciform structure, in the early English style; but the nave is now in ruins. The ecclesiastical property, prior to the Dissolution in 1538, belonged to the abbey of Newark in Send, near Guildford; and at Tyling are the remains of a religious house.'
Consider also the following parish nearby:
'CHILWORTH, a hamlet and a parish in Hambledon district, Surrey. The hamlet lies N of the river Wey, adjacent to the Reading and Redhill railway, 2½ miles SE by E of Guildford; and has a station on the railway. The parish is called also St. Marthaon-the-Hill; and its post town is Guildford. Acres, 1, 070. Pop., 168. Houses, 23. The property is divided among a few. St. Martha's Hill consists of sandstone; is about 600 feet high; and commands a rich and various view. Paper mills and powder mills are in the pretty vale of Chilworth, below the hill; but have ceased, for a time, to be worked. The living is a donative in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £25. Patron, Lord Lovaine. The church stands on St. Martha's Hill; and is a restored cruciform ancient chapel, which belonged to the priory of Newark.'
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- Batch C037801, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Surrey, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 2 April 2012.
- Batch M037801, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Surrey, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 2 April 2012.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage,' Find My Past, accessed 11 April 2012. For a breakdown of missing years, see 'National Burial Index - Coverage: Surrey,' Federation of Family History Societies, accessed 11 April 2012.
- Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 266-269. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51137 Date accessed: 13 April 2011; John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870).