St Marys, Old Town,Scillys, Cornwall Genealogy
St Mary's.-- chief of the Scilly Islands; is 9 miles in circumference, and contains Hugh Town, the capital of the Scilly Islands. Among the interesting features of the island is Star Castle, an Elizabethan fortress. There are also numerous antiquities.
St Mary Scilly is an Ancient parish. The church of St Mary was built at Old Town during the 19th century, replacing a previous building dating substantially from the 12th century.
Harold Wilson, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1964 to 1970, and again from 1974 to 1976, is buried in the churchyard of this church.
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Overview, Include information for parish registers and Bishop's Transcripts, Contact information for the office holding the original records, Links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241275.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [county] Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:
- 1851 Jurisdiction Maps
- Vision of Britain
- Bartholomew, John,Gazetteer of the British Isles(1887)
Add here any relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.