St Olave Hart Street, London Genealogy
"St Olave Hart Street, the church of, is situated on the south side of Hart Street, Crutched Friars and derives its name and addition from being dedicated to St Olave or Olaus, King of Norway, who, from his strong attachment to the christian religion, took part with the Christian English, against the pagan Danes. A church stood on this site, dedicated to the same patron, before the year 1319, The present church."
- Bannerman, W. Bruce. The Registers of St. Olave, Hart Street, London, 1563-1700. 1916. Digital versions at Internet Archive; TheGenealogist ($).
- 1541 London Subsidy Roll, Aldgate Ward - The Parisshe of Saynt Olave, courtesy: British History Online
- 1582 London Subsidy Roll, Aldgate Ward - Saint Olave Parishe, courtesy: British History Online
- 1582 London Subsidy Roll, Bridge Ward - St Olaves Parishe, courtesy: British History Online
- 1582 London Subsidy Roll, Tower Ward - St Olaves Parish, courtesy: British History Online
- London Subsidy Roll, c.1589 - St. Olaves in Hart streete Parishe, courtesy: Family History Archives (see page 149)
1666 Hearth Tax
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish.
Before 1858, St Olave Hart Street, London Genealogy fell under the jurisdiction of the Court of the Archdeaconry of London. In practice, many residents left their wills in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury from the 1700s through 1858. From 1858 to the present, refer to the Principal Probate Registry.
Go to London Probate Records to find the names of the courts having secondary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Transcripts of early St Olave Hart Street, London Genealogy tombs found in the interior of the church were published in Catalogue of the most Memorable Persons who had visible Tombs, plated Gravestones ... in the City of London (through) A.D. 1700, which is available online.
- London Family History Centre Catalogue
- St Olave's and St Katharine Cree (official website). Photographs, history, visitor directions.
- Society of Genealogists Library Catalogue (to narrow results, conduct a subject search for 'London St Olave Hart Street')
- James Elmes, M.R. I. A., Architect, A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Envirions (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted. Digital version: Google Books.
- "About Archdeaconry Court of London Wills Index 1750-1800", British Origins, accessed 23 December 2011.
- Payne Fisher and G. Blacker Morgan, Catalogue of the Tombs in the Churches of the City of London, A.D. 1666 (1668; reprint, London: Hasell, Watson, Viney, Ld., 1885). Digitised by Internet Archive.
- Percy C. Rushden, The Churchyard Inscriptions of the City of London (London: Phillimore and Co., Ltd., 1910). Digitised by Internet Archive.