St Pauls Church Jarrow
St Pauls Church is located in West Jarrow on the banks of the River Don. It is most famous for, and is associated with, the Venerable Bede click here. The church is an important historical site to the town of Jarrow and although much of the site is in ruins it still holds church services every Sunday and visitors are welcome to view and enter the building, ruins and old cemetery. There is a very interesting museum on top of the hill next to the church.
Jarrow was famous for shipbuilding and the Jarrow Crusade (Jarrow Marchers) in the 1930s click here
Durham University Library Archives and Special Collections DDR/EA/PBT/2/152 for March 1765-1860 Parish Register transcripts are available to search free online at Record Search.The collection includes transcripts for Heworth St Mary 1768-March 1809 (see also transcript series for Heworth St Mary under DDR/EA/PBT/2/137)
The dates of the post-1760 transcripts have been noted in detail and sometimes only cover years. For most parishes in the collection there are gaps in the sequence of transcripts. It is advisable to consult the original parish registers for these years and events.
The Parish Registers for the period 1571-1981 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Ja.SP).