St Swithun London Stone with St Mary Bothaw, London Genealogy
St Swithun London Stone with St Mary Bothaw, the church of, is situated at the south west corner of St Swithin's Lane, Cannon Street, and derives its name from being dedicated to St Swithin, Bishop of Winchester and Chencellor to King Egbert, who died in 806. By ancient records it appears there was a church upon this spot, dedicated to the same saint, prior to 1330. This church was destroyed by the fire of London, and the present, plain and substantial building erected by Sir Chritopher Wren, in its stead. The patronage of this church appears to have been enciently in the prior and convent of Tortington, in the diocese of Chester, in whom it continued till the dissolution of the monasteries by henry VIII, who granted it to the Earl of Oxford (see Oxford Court, Cannon Street), who soon after disposed of it, and it still continues in private hands. Against the southern side of this church, next to Cannon Street, is carefully preserved that relic of antiquity, London Stone. [see that article]. On the rebuilding of this church, the parish of St Mary Bothall or Bothaw (see that church), was united to that of St Swithin, by act of Parliament. The living is a rectory in the city of London, in the province of Canterbury, and in the alternate patronage of og the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury.
These parishes were part of Walbrook Ward.
- 1582 London Subsidy Roll, Wallbrook Ward - St Marye Buttolphes Parishe, courtesy: British History Online
- 1582 London Subsidy Roll, Wallbrook Ward - St Swythens Parrishe, courtesy: British History Online
1638 Inhabitants List
1666 Hearth Tax
- Hearth Tax: City of London 1666 - St Mary Bothaw, courtesy: British History Online
- Hearth Tax: City of London 1666 - St Swithin London Stone, courtesy: British History Online
- London Family History Centre Catalogue (St Mary Bothaw Parish records)
- London Family History Centre Catalogue (St Swithin London Stone Parish records)
- Society of Genealogists Library Catalogue (to narrow results, conduct a subject search for 'London St Mary Bothaw' or 'London St Swithin')
- James Elmes, M.R. I. A., Architect, A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Envirions (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted. Digital version: Google Books.