Stalmine, Lancashire Genealogy
Stalmine St James was created a chapel of ease by 1583 from, and lying within the boundaries of Lancaster St Mary, Lancashire Ancient Parish. Other places in the parish include: Pilling Lane, Staynall, Stalmine with Staynall, and Preesall with Hackinsall.
The civil parish containing the village is Stalmine-with-Staynall, which was listed as a township in the parish of Lancaster in 1835.
The village history dates back to 1066 when Tostig Godwinson held it as part of his Preston Fee. The first recorded possessor was Robert de Stalmine in 1165. The chapel of Stalmine was first mentioned about 1200 and a cemetery was consecrated in 1230. The chapel was rebuilt in 1806 when it was renamed St James. In 1689 Stalmine had a Presbyterian meeting house, which in 1717 was stated to be located "very near to the chapel".
The village church, St. James Church on Hallgate Lane, has a sundial dated 1690.
"STALMINE, with Staynall [created by 1583], a township, and chapelry, in the parish of Lancaster, union of Garstang, hundred of Amounderness, N. division of Lancashire, 5 miles north by northeast of Poulton. The original chapel was dedicated to St Oswald: the present building was erected in 1806, and dedicated to St. James."
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Transcripts of this parish are available.
Church of England
Stalmine chapelry's registers of christenings, marriages and burials, along with those of the ancient parish of Lancaster St Mary to which it is attached, have been mostly transcribed and are displayed online at the following web sites and ranges of years:
|AC = Ancestry.co.uk (£)|
|FMP = FindMyPast.co.uk (£)|
|FREG = FreeReg|
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|LBMD = LancashireBMD.org.uk|
|LOPC = Lancashire Online Parish Clerk|
|STALMINE ST JAMES WITH STAYNALL CHAPEL Chapelry (1583) Indexes|
|LANCASTER ST MARY'S PARISH (1599) Indexes (ancient parish containing STALMINE Chapelry)|
For a full list of all those chapels surrounding Stalmine and comprising the whole ancient parish of Lancaster St Mary to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the LANCASTER ST MARY PARISH page.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306936.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..
- A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 175-180. Adapted. Date accessed: 21 July 2010.