Difference between revisions of "Stalybridge New St George, Lancashire Genealogy"
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png|]] [[Lancashire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png|]] [[Lancashire Parishes]]
== History ==
== History ==
Revision as of 06:14, 20 March 2012
(New) St George's Stalybridge was erected as a chapelry, in the parish of Ashton-under-Lyne, on the Lancashire side of the river in the Diocese of Manchester. It is known as New St George's and its foundation stone was laid on 24 June, 1840 and was in operation by 1841. On the Cheshire side, the parish church of Holy Trinity and Christ Church, Diocese of Chester, is situated in the town centre on Trinity Street, beside the former market hall. The foundation stone of the parish church of St Paul's, Staley was laid by Stapleton Stapleton-Cotton, 1st Viscount Combermere on 2 February, 1838. It is along with St James', Millbrook situated in the Diocese of Chester.
There are two Roman Catholic parishes - St Peter's, Stalybridge, the foundation stone of which was laid on 8 June, 1838 and St. Raphael's, Millbrook. Both parishes are situated in the Diocese of Shrewsbury
The octagonal Stalybridge Methodist Church on High Street opened in 1966.
Stalybridge Congregational Church is to be found in a modern building on Baker Street. Its original building, which opened for worship in 1861 and was demolished around the turn of the 21st century, was situated between Melbourne Street and Trinity Street.
The Unitarian Church on Forester Drive was established in 1870 and is part of the East Cheshire Union of Unitarian and Free Christian Churches.
Stalybridge Revival Church, on Mount Street, formerly known as Stalybridge Evangelical Church, was established in 2009.[
Stalybridge, New St. George (C of E). A separate parish from 1847, comprising part of Ashton-under-Lyne township. Registers start in 1840. Registers of marriages 1841–1901 are in Manchester Central Library.
Stalybridge (Castle Hall), Holy Trinity (C of E). A separate parish from 1840, serving part of Dukinfield township (which was subsequently absorbed into Stalybridge). Registers of Baptisms 1852–1925, Marriages 1852–1933 and Burials 1853–1879 have been deposited at the Cheshire Record Office.
Millbrook, St. James (C of E). Registers of Baptisms 1863–1867, Marriages 1863–1990 and Burials 1863–1997 have been deposited at the Cheshire Record Office.
Stalybridge, Christ Church (C of E), Quarry Street. Founded 1879 as the parish church for parts of Stayley and Dukinfield townships. Closed in 1976. Registers of Baptisms 1879–1976 and Marriages 1880–1975 have been deposited at the Cheshire Record Office.
The burial records of both Stalybridge Old St George and Stalybridge new St George have been transcribed and are on line at http://www.stg.org.uk/graverecords01.htm
- Stalybridge, St. Peter (Roman Catholic), Spring Bank Street. Founded 1838. Registers of baptisms 1839–1953, marriages 1841–1960 and burials 1839–1973 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Millbrook, St. Raphael (Roman Catholic). Founded 1958.
- Stalybridge, Ebenezer Baptist Chapel (Particular), Cross Leach Street. Founded 1813, Built in 1836. Registers 1807–1837 are at Lancashire Record Office.
- Stalybridge, Mount Pleasant (Mount Olive) Baptist Chapel. Founded 1804, Built in 1819 in Cross Street, rebuilt in 1846 in Wakefield Road. Registers 1809–1837 are at Lancashire Record Office. Registers 1846–1939 are in Tameside Library.
- Stalybridge, Bethel Methodist Chapel (New Connexion). Founded 1798, Built in 1831. Registers 1798–1837 are at the Cheshire Record Office. Registers of baptisms and marriages 1838–1956 are at Manchester Central Library.
- Stalybridge, Gospel Mission Room, Key Street.
- Stalybridge, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), Caroline Street. Founded 1762, Built in 1815, rebuilt in 1872. Registers 1812–1837 are at Lancashire Record Office. Registers of baptisms 1839–1874 are at Manchester Central Library.
- Stalybridge, Methodist Chapel (Primitive), Grasscroft Street/Canal Street. Founded 1827, Built in 1892. Registers of baptisms 1845–1957 and marriages 1915–1957 are at Manchester Central Library.
- Stalybridge, Methodist Chapel (New Connexion), Grosvenor Square. Registers 1839–1842 are at Tameside Library.
- Stalybridge, Methodist Chapel (Free), Booth Street. Built in 1849, rebuilt in 1877. Registers of baptisms 1865–1965 and marriages 1901–1963 are at Manchester Central Library.
- Stalybridge, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), Portland Street. Built in 1864, closed in 1869.
- Stalybridge, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), Blandford Street. Founded 1869.
- Millbrook, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan).
- Millbrook, Mount Tabor Methodist Chapel (New Connexion).
- Stalybridge, Spiritualist Church, Castle Street.
- Stalybridge, Spiritualist Church, Corporation Street.
- Stalybridge, Unitarian Chapel (Primitive), Canal Street. Founded 1860, Built in 1870.
- Stalybridge, United Reformed Church (Independent/Congregational), Melbourne Street. Built in 1830, rebuilt in 1861. Registers 1789–1837 are at the Cheshire Record Office and Lancashire Record Office.
Poor Law Unions
- Ashton under Lyne
- Ashton under Lyne (1894–1937)
- Hyde (1937–74)
- Tameside (1974+)