Stalybridge New St George, Lancashire Genealogy
St George's Stalybridge is the parish church on the Lancashire side of the river in the Diocese of Manchester. It is known as New St George's and its foundation stone was laid on 24 June, 1840. On the Cheshire side, the parish church of Holy Trinity and Christ Church, Diocese of Chester, is situated in the town centre on Trinity Street, beside the former market hall. The foundation stone of the parish church of St Paul's, Staley was laid by Stapleton Stapleton-Cotton, 1st Viscount Combermere on 2 February, 1838. It is along with St James', Millbrook situated in the Diocese of Chester.
There are two Roman Catholic parishes - St Peter's, Stalybridge, the foundation stone of which was laid on 8 June, 1838 and St. Raphael's, Millbrook. Both parishes are situated in the Diocese of Shrewsbury
The octagonal Stalybridge Methodist Church on High Street opened in 1966.
Stalybridge Congregational Church is to be found in a modern building on Baker Street. Its original building, which opened for worship in 1861 and was demolished around the turn of the 21st century, was situated between Melbourne Street and Trinity Street.
The Unitarian Church on Forester Drive was established in 1870 and is part of the East Cheshire Union of Unitarian and Free Christian Churches.
Stalybridge Revival Church, on Mount Street, formerly known as Stalybridge Evangelical Church, was established in 2009.[
Stalybridge, New St. George (C of E). A separate parish from 1847, comprising part of Ashton-under-Lyne township. Registers start in 1840. Registers of marriages 1841–1901 are in Manchester Central Library.
Stalybridge (Castle Hall), Holy Trinity (C of E). A separate parish from 1840, serving part of Dukinfield township (which was subsequently absorbed into Stalybridge). Registers of Baptisms 1852–1925, Marriages 1852–1933 and Burials 1853–1879 have been deposited at the Cheshire Record Office.
Millbrook, St. James (C of E). Registers of Baptisms 1863–1867, Marriages 1863–1990 and Burials 1863–1997 have been deposited at the Cheshire Record Office.
Stalybridge, Christ Church (C of E), Quarry Street. Founded 1879 as the parish church for parts of Stayley and Dukinfield townships. Closed in 1976. Registers of Baptisms 1879–1976 and Marriages 1880–1975 have been deposited at the Cheshire Record Office.
The burial records of both Stalybridge Old St George and Stalybridge new St George have been transcribed and are on line at http://www.stg.org.uk/graverecords01.htm