Stalybridge Old St George, Lancashire Genealogy
Stalybridge Old St Georgeis a chapelry partlyin thetownship of Dukinfield, parish of Stockport, Cheshire and partly also in the parish of Ashton -under-Lyne, Lancashire created by the year 1782 from the ancient parish of Ashton Under Lyne [St Michael].
"STALYBRIDGE, a market-town with chapelries, in the union of Ashton-under-Lyne; partly in the Hartshead division of the parish of Ashton-under-Lyne, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster; partly in the township of Dukinfield, parish of Stockport, and partly in the township of Stayley, parish of Mottram-in-Longdendale, hundred of Macclesfield, N. division of the county of Chester; 1 mile (E. by S.) from Ashton, 7 miles (E.) from Manchester, and 8 northeast by north from Stockport. The chapel, at Cocker Hill, dedicated to St. George, was erected by subscription in 1776; chapelry registers survive from 1782. An additional church, also dedicated to St. George, was built in 1840 (see New St George Stayleybridge). At Stayley - 1839, and in Dukinfield Township proper are other chapels of the Church of England, including Dukinfield Chapel (1677), Dukinfield St John (1844) and Dukinfield St Mark (1846).
There are places of worship for General and Particular Baptists, Wesleyan Methodists, Primitive Methodists, Methodists of the New Connexion, Independents, and Roman Catholics."
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Ashton under Lyne (1894–1937)
- Hyde (1937–74)
- Tameside (post 1974)
Church of England
Stalybridge Old chapelry's registers of christenings, marriages and burials, along with those of the ancient parish of Ashton Under Lyne to which it is attached, have been mostly transcribed and are displayed online at the following web sites and ranges of years:
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|LOPC = Lancashire Online Parish Clerk project|
|FMP = FindMyPast.co.uk|
|LBMD = LancashireBMD.org.uk|
|AC = Ancestry.co.uk|
|FREG = FreeReg|
|STALEYBRIDGE OLD ST GEORGE Chapelry (1776) Indexes|
|FS||1782-1822||No marr reg. till 1864||None|
|ASHTON UNDER LYNE ST MICHAEL PARISH (1596) Indexes (ancient parish containing STALEYBRIDGE OLD Chapelry)|
|Baptisms (1594)||Marriages (1594)||Burials (1596)|
For a full list of all those chapels surrounding Stalybridge Old and comprising the whole ancient parish of Ashton Under Lyne to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the ASHTON UNDER LYNE PARISH page.
- Mottram in Longdendale, Cheshire (C of E). The ancient parish church for Stayley and Matley.
- Stalybridge, Old St. George (C of E), Cocker Hill. Created a separate parish in 1798 from part of Ashton under Lyne township (Lancashire). Registers start in 1776. Registers 1864–1906 are in Manchester Central Library, and Bishop's Transcripts 1782–1820 are in Lancashire Record Office.
- Staleybridge St Paul, Cheshire
Parish registers for Old St. George's Church, Staleybridge, 1776-1930 Microreproduction of original manuscripts housed at the Lancashire Record Office, Preston; and formerly held atthe Manchester Archives Central Library in Manchester, England.
The chapelry of Staleybridge (Old St. George) is in the parish of Ashton-under-Lyne, in the counties of Cheshire and Lancashire.
An index for the parish can be found in the Cheshire Parish registers available in Historical Records( formerly Record Search)
Manchester Archives Central Library call nos.: L 63/1/1; L 63/1/2/1-2; L 63/1/3; L 63/1/4l L 63/2000/52.
| Baptisms and burials, 1776-1812. Baptisms, 1813-1865.
|| FHL BRITISH Film |
2356038 Items 6 - 7
| Baptisms, 1776-1865. Burials, 1777-1865. (another filming)
|| FHL BRITISH Film |
| Baptisms, 1865-1906. Burials, 1813-1906. Marriages, 1864-1906. Register of graves, ca. 1860-1930.
|| FHL BRITISH Film |
2356039 Items 1 - 4
Bishop's transcripts for St. George's Church, Staleybridge, 1782-1820 Microreproduction of original manuscripts housed at the Lancashire Record Office, Preston.
The chapelry of Staleybridge (St. George) is in the parish of Ashton- under-Lyne, in the counties of Cheshire and Lancashire.
Lancashire Record Office: DRM/2/16
| Baptisms, burials, 1782-1790, 1793-1820.
- Stalybridge (Castle Hall), Holy Trinity (C of E). A separate parish from 1840, serving part of Dukinfield township (which was subsequently absorbed into Stalybridge). Registers of Baptisms 1852–1925, Marriages 1852–1933 and Burials 1853–1879 have been deposited at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Millbrook, St. James (C of E). Registers of Baptisms 1863–1867, Marriages 1863–1990 and Burials 1863–1997 have been deposited at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Stalybridge, Christ Church (C of E), Quarry Street. Founded 1879 as the parish church for parts of Stayley and Dukinfield townships. Closed in 1976. Registers of Baptisms 1879–1976 and Marriages 1880–1975 have been deposited at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Stalybridge, St. Peter (Roman Catholic), Spring Bank Street. Founded 1838. Registers of baptisms 1839–1953, marriages 1841–1960 and burials 1839–1973 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Millbrook, St. Raphael (Roman Catholic). Founded 1958.
- Stalybridge, Ebenezer Baptist Chapel (Particular), Cross Leach Street. Founded 1813, Built in 1836. Registers 1807–1837 are at Lancashire Record Office.
- Stalybridge, Mount Pleasant (Mount Olive) Baptist Chapel. Founded 1804, Built in 1819 in Cross Street, rebuilt in 1846 in Wakefield Road. Registers 1809–1837 are at Lancashire Record Office. Registers 1846–1939 are in Tameside Library.
- Stalybridge, Bethel Methodist Chapel (New Connexion). Founded 1798, Built in 1831. Registers 1798–1837 are at the Cheshire Record Office. Registers of baptisms and marriages 1838–1956 are at Manchester Central Library.
- Stalybridge, Gospel Mission Room, Key Street.
- Stalybridge, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), Caroline Street. Founded 1762, Built in 1815, rebuilt in 1872. Registers 1812–1837 are at Lancashire Record Office. Registers of baptisms 1839–1874 are at Manchester Central Library.
- Stalybridge, Methodist Chapel (Primitive), Grasscroft Street/Canal Street. Founded 1827, Built in 1892. Registers of baptisms 1845–1957 and marriages 1915–1957 are at Manchester Central Library.
- Stalybridge, Methodist Chapel (New Connexion), Grosvenor Square. Registers 1839–1842 are at Tameside Library.
- Stalybridge, Methodist Chapel (Free), Booth Street. Built in 1849, rebuilt in 1877. Registers of baptisms 1865–1965 and marriages 1901–1963 are at Manchester Central Library.
- Stalybridge, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), Portland Street. Built in 1864, closed in 1869.
- Stalybridge, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), Blandford Street. Founded 1869.
- Millbrook, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan).
- Millbrook, Mount Tabor Methodist Chapel (New Connexion).
- Stalybridge, Spiritualist Church, Castle Street.
- Stalybridge, Spiritualist Church, Corporation Street.
- Stalybridge, Unitarian Chapel (Primitive), Canal Street. Founded 1860, Built in 1870.
- Stalybridge, United Reformed Church (Independent/Congregational), Melbourne Street. Built in 1830, rebuilt in 1861. Registers 1789–1837 are at the Cheshire Record Office and Lancashire Record Office.
Church records, 1812-1837 Notes Microfilm of original records at the Public Record Office, London. Births, baptisms and burials at Caroline Street Chapel, parish of Dukinfield, 1812-1837. Staleybridge is partly in the parishes of Ashton-under-Lyne, Stockport, and Mottram. RG-4 series nos. 545, 546, 547.
|Other Content||FHL Film|
|Church records||BRITISH 20051 Items 5-7|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306917.
Poor Law Unions
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 175-180. Greatly adapted. Date accessed: 21 July 2010.