Standish, Lancashire Genealogy
STANDISH St Wilfrid, a parish, in the unions of Wigan and Chorley, hundred of Leyland, N. division of Lancashire, 3¼ miles northwest by north from Wigan. The parish comprises the townships (and chapelries--see links) of Adlington, Anderton, Charnock-Richard, Coppull, Duxbury, Heath-Charnock, Shevington, Standish with Langtree, Welsh-Whittle, and Worthington. St Wilfrid Standish Parish church was built by at least 1560. At Adlington, Standish with Langtree and Coppull are other chapels.
At Standish Hall is a Roman Catholic chapel.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Standish was an ancient parish with the district chapelries of Christ Church (1839) and St Paul's (1885) at Adlington. Standish parish registers have been transcribed and the data is now posted online at Lancashire Online Parish Clerk as follows:
|STANDISH ST WILFRID PARISH (1560) Indexes|
|ADLINGTON CHRIST CHURCH Chapelry (1837) Indexes|
|ADLINGTON ST PAUL Chapelry (1843) Indexes|
|COPPULL Chapelry (1693) Indexes|
|CHARNOCK-RICHARD CHRIST CHURCH Chapelry (1860) Indexes|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306913.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..
- A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 180-183.&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;nbsp;Adapted. Date accessed: 21 July 2010.