Stanton County, Kansas Genealogy
Stanton County, Kansas genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Stanton County, Kansas|
Location in the state of Kansas
Location of Kansas in the U.S.
|Founded||March 6, 1873|
|Address|| Stanton County Courthouse|
P.O. Box 190
Johnson, Kansas 67855-0190
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Stanton County Courthouse
201 N Main
PO Box 190
Johnson, KS 67855
Absorbed by Hamilton County 1883.
Reorganized Feb 1887
City Clerk has birth records.
Probate Judge has marriage and probate records
Clerk District Court has divorce and court records.
Register of Deeds has burial and land records
County Clerk has census records. 
1873--Stanton County was created 6 March 1873 from unorganized territory. County seat: Johnson 
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kansas Land and Property for additional information about early Kansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
- Stanton County was organized after the Civil War.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Stanton County, Kansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Stanton County, Kansas page 256, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).