Stark County, Illinois Genealogy
|Stark County, Illinois|
Location of Illinois in the U.S.
|Founded:||January 4, 1817|
|Address|| 130 West Main Street|
Toulon, IL 61483
|Named for: John Stark|
- 1 Stark County Information
- 2 Places / Localities
- 3 Resources
- 4 Societies and Libraries
- 5 Web Sites
- 6 References
Stark County Information
|Beginning Dates for Stark County Records|
Places / Localities
The following have information concerning African American research.
- https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/African_American_Research African American Research] (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Illinois State Archives pamphlet on African American Research describes what records are at the State Archives with an online method for ordering records.
- African-American Resources for Illinois
Illinois cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Stark County and links to the information for the individuals buried there.
- Stark Co. IL USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- Illinois Cemeteries by county.
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Stark County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Stark County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
|IL Counties 1900-1990|
- Leeson, M. A. Documents and biography pertaining to the settlement and progress of Stark County, Illinois : containing an authentic summary of records, documents, historical works and newspapers relating to Indian history, original settlement, organization and politics, courts and bar, citizen soldiers, military societies, marriages, churches, schools, secret, benevolent and literary societies, etc. : together with biography of representative men of the past and present. Chicago: M.A. Leeson & Co., 1887. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- Stark County, Illinois and its people : a record of settlement, organization, progress and achievement. Chicago: Pioneer Pub. Co., 1916. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- Shallenberger, E. H. Stark County and Its Pioneers. Cambridge, Ill.: B.W. Seaton, Prairie Chief Office, book and job printer, 1989. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Stark County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Stark County.
- - 38th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company B.
- - 65th Regiment, Illinois Infantry (Scotch Regiment), Companies A and I.
Stark County Almshouse Registers Index, 1868-1941, courtesy: Illinois State Archives
Societies and Libraries
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).