Stavanger city has several parishes. They are:
1664-1666 This census was taken by the local parish priests. It lists the name of the farms, names of farm owners (including widows), the sons of the farm owners, male farm hands, cottagers and their sons, and the ages of each person. There is a database of this census at Digitalarkivet.
- 1701: The census of 1701 was taken for military purposes. It lists only the males living in rural districts that were over the age of one year. It includes the farm name, name and age of the owner, names and ages of sons and servants. Also includes the residence of all unmarried males living away from home when the census was taken.Mantallet (Census) 1701 for Stavanger amt (Rogaland County) at Digitalarkivet.
- 1801 The 1801 census (b. 39) for Stavanger city lists the street name and number, person's name, position in the household, age, marital status, and occupation. 1801-telling (census) at Digitalarkivet.
- 1826 and 1835 The 1826 and 1835 censuses of Stavanger rural districts. They list the farm name, person's name, age, position in the family, occupation, and other miscellaneous information. They also list statistics.
- 1865 This census contains the person's name, residence, status in the family, occupation, sex, marital status, place of birth, religion if not a member of the state church, and other miscellaneous information. Each book usually contains one clerical district (prestegjeld). In some books there are two clerical districts recorded. The parishes and school districts in each clerical district are listed at the beginning of each book. 1865-telling (census) at Digitalarkivet.
- 1875 This 1875 census contains the person's name, residence, position in the family, occupation, sex, marital status, year of birth, place of birth, religion if not a member of the state church, and other miscellaneous information.
- 1900 This census contains the person's name, sex, resident or temporary resident, temporarily absent and where person is, position in the family, marital status, occupation, year of birth, place of birth, citizenship, religion, and other miscellaneous information. 1900-telling (census) at Digitalarkivet.
1617-1706 The court records contain reports of civil and criminal actions, including the allodial rights, "odelssaker". You will find names, dates, places, and relationships in these records. The records have no indexes, therefore require time to study. They are excellent sources for genealogical research and at times you can find entire families through several generations. These records must be used in conjunction with the mortgage records, probate records, or other records. These records are for Stavanger city judicial district in Rogaland County.
A description of place names and street names in Stavanger city and the surrounding areas. "Stedsnavn i Stavanger by og nærmeste omegn"
Land and Property Records
- 1607-1711 Byregnskaper City revenue and expense records, tax lists, real estate registers, and other materials containing names of owners and amounts paid. These records are for Stavanger city in Rogaland county.
- 1682-1872 These mortgage records give information about real estate, conveyances, mortgages, and other transactions of properties. Contracts, agreements, and deeds are also recorded in these books. The panteregisters are extracts of the records. These records are for Stavanger city judicial district in Rogaland county. Scanned images are available at Digitalarkivet.
1680-1869 Probate records for Stavanger city judicial district. The probate records usually contain the date of probate, name of the deceased, names of heirs, guardians and trustees, inventory lists, land and holdings, and other miscellaneous information.
1763-1851 Clerical probate records are found in the Jæren deanery. Probate records of Jæren deanery in Rogaland County, Norway; which includes the following clerical districts: Hetland, Høyland, Hå, Håland, Klepp, Lye (Time), Ogna and the city Stavanger. Records contain dates, names of deceased, heirs, guardians and trustees, inventory lists, land and holdings, and other miscellaneous information.
There are no farm books kept for cities.