Stephens County, Georgia Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Stephens County; 150 W Doyle St; PO Box 386; Toccoa, GA 30577-0000; Ph. 706.886.9496 Details: (Co Hlth Dept has b & d rec; Pro Ct has m & pro rec; Clk Sup Ct has div, ct & land rec from 1906)
Early migration routes to and from Stephens County for European settlers included:
- Savannah River pre-historic
- Old Cherokee Path pre-historic
- Lower Cherokee Traders' Path pre-historic
- Coosa-Tualoo Indian Warpath
- Tugaloo-Apalachie Bay Trail
- Augusta and Cherokee Trail 1740s
- Old South Carolina State Road 1747
- Charleston-Ft. Charlotte Trail about 1765
- Fort Charlotte and Cherokee Old Path about 1777
- Upper Road about 1783
- Unicoi Trail or Turnpike 1813
- Ledford, Karen Ann Thompson. These Men Wore Grey Genealogical, Military, and Interment Records of Confederate Soldiers. (Toccoa, Georgia : K.T. Ledford, c1998-c2001), 7 Volumes. Each volume contains bibliographical references and full-name index. Contents: v. 1. Franklin County -- v. 2. Habersham County --v. 3. Stephens County -- v. 4. Rabun County --v. 5. White County -- v. 6. Banks County -- v. 7. Jackson County. Book found at FHL 975.8 V3L and Other Libraries.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Stephens County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 847-61. (FHL Book 973 D27e 2002) WorldCat entry., and William E. Myer, Indian Trails of the Southeast. (Nashville, Tenn.: Blue and Gray Press, 1971), 12-14, and the book's pocket map "The Trail System of the Southeastern United States in the early Colonial Period" (1923). (FHL Book 970.1 M992i) WorldCat entry.
- William E. Myer, Indian Trails of the Southeast. (Nashville, Tenn.: Blue and Gray Press, 1971). (FHL Book 970.1 M992i) WorldCat entry.