Stidd, Lancashire Genealogy
DUTTON [known also as Stede or Stidd and founded by the year 1742], a township, in the parish of Ribchester, union of Preston, Lower division of the hundred of Blackburn, N. division of Lancashire, 7 miles (N. by W.) from Blackburn; containing 563 inhabitants. This place gave name to a family, which occurs in charters without date; and lands here were possessed by numerous other ancient families, among whom were the Tounleys, whose surviving heiress died of extreme old age in 1799: the manor afterwards became the property of the Fentons, by purchase from the Welds. Within the township was the ancient "Hospitale subtus Langrig," with its chapel of Stidd, dedicated to God and Our Holy Saviour; it existed as early as the reign of John, and shared the fate of the religious houses at the Reformation. Stidd chapel, now a chapel of ease, is one of the oldest entire buildings in the county; the edifice is of grey stone, with a porch of primitive simplicity, and a fine-pointed semi-Saxon arch with slender clustered columns. The site of the chapel is a croft, formerly a cemetery, now overgrown with grass; and the eastern gable is richly clothed with ivy, festooning the window inside and out. For many ages, an ancient stone coffin-tomb was to be seen on the north side of the altar, inscribed with the double cross of the Hospitallers (the establishment having been at one period a commandery of the Knights); but it is now covered up: one of the lords of Salesbury, and his lady, are interred beneath the altar; and immediately before it lie the remains of the Roman Catholic bishop of Armorium (Petre), who died in 1725. The township comprises 1665 statute acres, whereof 847 customary acres are arable, 59 wood, and 122 waste. The village is situated about a mile north-by-east of the village of Ribchester. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £90. The Roman Catholics have a place of worship, built in 1795, with almshouses adjoining.
From: 'Durham - Dymock', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 110-121. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50932 Date accessed: 21 July 2010.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.