Stirlingshire, Scotland Genealogy Genealogy
Stirlingshire is a county in the eastern part of Scotland, bounded on the north by Perthshire and Clackmannanshire, on the east by the county of Linlithgow, on the south-east by part of Lanarkshire, and on the south and the west by the county of Dumbarton. It is about 45 miles in length and 19 miles in extreme breadth, comprising an area of about 489 square miles or 312,960 acres.
There are many Roman remains in the county. Kenneth II is said to have obtained his victory over the Picts (c.971) at a location near the city of Stirling. The Northumbrian Saxons had control over the area until it was recovered by Kenneth III (c.997). In the reign of the Stuarts (from 1371) Stirling castle became a royal residence, and the history of Stirlingshire has been closely identified with the general history of Scotland ever since.
The county contains 21 parishes, including the detached parish of Alva. The sheriff's court is at Stirling which is the county town and the only royal burgh. The county also includes the burgh of Falkirk and several thriving and pleasant towns and villages.
The surface of the county is diversified with mountains and hills, with valleys and some fine tracts of fertile plain. The beginning of the Highland district, and the mountain of Ben-Lomond, are to the west. About 200,000 acres are arable, 50,000 are meadow and good pasture, and nearly 63,000 are hill pasture, moorland, and waste; also about 1350 acres are in natural wood. The principal crops are wheat, oats, barley, flax, peas, beans, potatoes, and turnips. Fruit trees of every description thrive luxuriantly. Sheep, dairy cows, and horses are reared.
There are strats of whinstone and granite, and freestone of various colours, which are quarried. There is also limestone, ironstone, and coal, which is wrought and shipped to Edinburgh. There is also copper and lead ore and some silver. The principal manufacture is that of cast and malleable iron goods. Woolen manufacture is also extensive; the chief articles are carpets, coarse woollen cloths, and tartans. There are also cotton manufactories, and others, as well as distilleries. Ship-building is pursued to a considerable extent.
The population of the county in 1851 was 82,057.
(Source: Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 2nd ed., 1851. Family History Library book 941 E5L, 2 vols.)
Here is a list of historic parishes for the county of Stirling. Click on a parish name for information about records.
|Bothkennar||473||Monyabroch (see Kilsyth)||483|
The Family History Library has county-wide census indexes for Stirlingshire for 1881. The library also has a collection of census surname indexes for different places within Stirlingshire. Click here to see a table listing these other census surname indexes that are available at the library.
There are two poorhouses:
Stirling Combination www.workhouses.org.uk/Stirling/
Click on the map at the right to see a larger version, and click again on the larger map. Next, click on the ‘Expand’ button when it appears in the lower right-hand corner of the map.
Click here to see an outline map of the parishes of Stirlingshire.
[Return to county list.]