Difference between revisions of "Stoke sub Hamdon, Somerset Genealogy"
m (Text replace - "== Reference ==" to "== References ==")
|Line 44:||Line 44:|
== Web sites ==
== Web sites ==
Revision as of 16:33, 17 December 2012
Stoke sub Hamdon is commonly known as Stoke and is an ancient parish in Somerset.
STOKE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Taunton, hundred of Taunton and Taunton-Dean, W. division of Somerset, 2½ miles (S. E. by E.) from Taunton; containing, with the hamlets of Broughton and Stoke-Hill, 315 inhabitants. The parish comprises by admeasurement 911 acres. Stone is quarried for building, and for burning into lime. The living is a rectory and donative, in the gift of Lord Portman: the tithes have been commuted for £110. There is a place of worship for Independents.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474604.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Somerset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.