Stokes County, North Carolina Genealogy
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 22:57, 23 October 2012 by Murphynw (named ref)
|Stokes County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Some early records are missing.
For tips on accessing Stokes County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
- Fraternity Church of the Brethren, near Clemmons, N.C. Established about 1775. Previously located in Surry County and presently situated in Forsyth County.
- Nazareth Church aka Old Dutch Meeting House. Organized about 1778 by German settlers. Previously located in Surry County and currently situated in Forsyth County.
- Friedberg Church. Begun 1759; organized 1773. Formerly located in Surry County and presently situated in Forsyth County.
Civil War Confederate units - Brief history, counties where recruited, etc.
- - 2nd Battalion, North Carolina Infantry
- - 4th Regiment, Virginia State Line (Cavalry and Infantry) (Confederate). Company H.
- - 23rd Battalion, Virginia Infantry Reserves (Confederate). Company H.
- Pre-1790 - Pre-1790 Stokes County, North Carolina Genealogy Wills stored at the North Carolina State Archives are online - free. Website tips.
- 1792-1865 - Will Books 1 to 5 (1792-1865) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- Sweeney, Alice J. "Bassett Historical Center," The Virginia Genealogical Society Newsletter, Vol. 28, No. 4 (Aug. 2002):1-3. Available at FHL; digital version at Virginia Genealogical Society website.
Societies and Libraries
- Bassett Historical Center, Bassett, Virginia. Website includes descriptions of collections. Excellent resource for family history research in Henry, Patrick, Floyd, Franklin and Pittsylvania counties in Virginia, the city of Martinsville, Virginia, and Rockingham, Stokes and Surry counties in North Carolina.
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Stokes County, North Carolina. Page 513 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- George Washington Paschal, History of North Carolina Baptists, 2 vols. (1930; reprint, Gallatin, Tenn.: Church History Research and Archives, 1990), 2:568. FHL Book 975.6 K2p 1990.
- "Fraternity Church of the Brethren," North Carolina Highway Historical Marker Program, http://www.ncmarkers.com, accessed 22 October 2012.
- "Nazareth Church," North Carolina Highway Historical Marker Program, http://www.ncmarkers.com, accessed 22 October 2012.
- "Friedberg Church," North Carolina Highway Historical Marker Program, http://www.ncmarkers.com, accessed 22 October 2012.
- The Virginia State Line: Organizational Structure of the Virginia State Line, Ranger95.com, accessed 11 June 2012.
- J.L. Scott, 23rd Battalion Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, c1991). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 79.
- Sweeney, Alice J. "Bassett Historical Center," The Virginia Genealogical Society Newsletter, Vol. 28, No. 4 (Aug. 2002):1-3, available online at: http://www.vgs.org/vgsn2804.pdf.