Stretton Magna, Leicestershire Genealogy
STRETTON MAGNA, a chapelry, in the parish of Glen Magna, union of Billesdon, hundred of Gartree, S. division of the county of Leicester, 5½ miles(S. E. by E.) from Leicester. 
The lost ancient village of Stretton Magna contains the Ancient Parish church of St Giles which still stands derelict in fields near the modern village of Great Stretton.
The lost village is included in land adjacent to the site of the abandoned World War II airfield known as RAF Leicester East and Stoughton aerodrome then Leicester Airport near Stoughton village.
The proposal to develop the area into an eco town (with the working title of Pennbury) was not included in the announcements of permitted development and is strongly opposed locally.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438742.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Leicestershire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 246-250. Date accessed: 17 September 2012.