Difference between revisions of "Suffolk (Independent City), Virginia"
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Line 27:||Line 27:|
'''''Church of England'''''
'''''Church of England'''''
*Hall, Wilmer Lee. ''The Vestry Book of the Upper Parish, Nansemond County,
*Hall, Wilmer Lee. ''The Vestry Book of the Upper Parish, Nansemond County, , 1743 - 1793.'' Richmond [Virginia]: Commonwealth of Virginia, Division of Purchase and Printing, 1949. Available at [http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titledetails&titleno=115319&disp=The+vestry+book+of+the+Upper+Parish%2C+N%20%20&columns=*,0,0 FHL US/CAN Book 975.553 K2h] and [http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titlefilmnotes&columns=*%2C0%2C0&titleno=115319&disp=The+vestry+book+of+the+Upper+Parish%2C+N++ US/CAN Film 973095 Item 2]. Digital version at [http://www.worldvitalrecords.com/indexinfo.aspx?ix=qcdva0002_vestry World Vital Records] ($).
Revision as of 16:35, 11 May 2010
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
Please review the contributor help to assist you in editing.
- 1 Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
1910--Suffolk was created in 1910 from Nansemond County. 
Church of England
- Hall, Wilmer Lee. The Vestry Book of the Upper Parish, Nansemond County, Virginia, 1743 - 1793. Richmond [Virginia]: Commonwealth of Virginia, Division of Purchase and Printing, 1949. Available at FHL US/CAN Book 975.553 K2h and US/CAN Film 973095 Item 2. Digital version at World Vital Records ($).
- Putnam, Martha A. Quaker Records of Southeast Virginia. Westminster, Maryland: Family Line Publications, 1996. Available at FHL. [Includes records about Quakers in Dinwiddie, Isle of Wight, Nansemond, Norfolk, Prince George, Southampton counties and Suffolk City from 1600s and 1700s (Blackwater Montly Meeting, Chuckatuck Monthly Meeting, Pagan Creek Meeting, Western Branch Monthly Meeting, and Somerton Monthly Meeting.)]
- Ljungstedt, Milnor. "Items from Southern Records" [Showing Family and Trade Connections with Northern Colonies and the Home Countries], The American Genealogist, Vol. 15 (1938):95-104. Available at New England Ancestors. [Suffolk, VA surname: Gibson.]
Grants and Patents
- Hudgins. 882 patents dated 1638-1749 in what is now Suffolk City (previously Nansemond County), Virginia placed on a map. DeedMapper, 2003. [Names of those who received land patents, dates, land descriptions, and references may be viewed free of charge (click "Index" next to the county listing); however, in order to view the maps, it is necessary to purchase Direct Line Software's DeedMapper product.]
Societies and Libraries
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).