Summers County, West Virginia Genealogy
Guide to Summers County West Virginia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Summers County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
|Founded||February 27, 1871|
|Address|| Summers County Courthouse|
P O Box 97
Hinton, WV 25951
Summers County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
County Clerk has birth, marriage, death, probate and land records from 1871
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and court records
See an interactive map of Summers County boundary changes.
Places / Localities
For tips on accessing Summers County, West Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
Land and Property
- Hudgins. 226 patents dated 1784-1862 in what is now Summers County, West Virginia placed on a map. DeedMapper. [Names of those who received land patents, dates, land descriptions, and references may be viewed free of charge (click "Index" next to the county listing); however, in order to view the maps, it is necessary to purchase Direct Line Software's DeedMapper product.]
Cottle, George. History of Forest Hill Community, Summers County, West Virginia. Morgantown, West Virginia, Agricultural Extension Division, n. d. (On-line version). Xwv 1. Agr 3. 2: C6.
Graham C. History of Clayton Community, Summers County, West Virginia. Morgantown, West Virginia, Agricultural Extension Division, 1923.(On-line version). Xwv 1. Agr 3. 2: G7.
Lively, Lester. History of Summers County''. s. l., n. p., n. d. 975.476 L784 Pam.
Long, Fred. Historic Pence Springs Resort. s. l., n. p., 1983. 917.5476 L848.
Maddy, W. T. History of Marie Community, Summers and Monroe Counties, West Virginia. Morgantown, West Virginia, Agricultural Extension Division, 1925.(On-line version). Xwv 1. Agr 3. 2: M3.
Miller, James Henry. History of Summers County From the Earliest Settlement to the Present Time. Hinton, West Virginia, n. p., 1908. 975.476 M648.
Nyden, Paul J. Thirty Oral History Transcripts About the New River Region in Fayette, Raleigh and Summers Counties, West Virginia. Beckley, West Virginia, Paul Nyden, 1980.
Summers County World War Veterans. s. l., n. p., n. d. 940.546775 S955 Pam.
Woods, Clee. West Virginia Was Good. Charleston, West Virginia, Mountain State Press, 1984.
West Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
- West Virginia, Naturalization Records, 1814-1991
Summers County, West Virginia Will Books 1854 - 1969
- West Virginia Will Books
West Virginia real and personal property tax records are managed by the County Assessor in each county. Land and land improvements are considered real property while mobile property is classified as personal property.
Many County Assessors offer an online searchable database, where assessment record searches can be performed by name, account number, year, or mp/parcel number. Where online records are not available, requests for records can be made to the Assessment Office in person, by phone, or in writing.
The search for tax information can start [ http://publicrecords.onlinesearches.com/West-Virginia-Assessor-and-Property-Tax-Records.htm here]
- West Virginia Vital Records - Birth - Death - Marriages. See also How to order West Virginia Vital Records or order electronically online.
. Includes marriages 1871-1969 - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Family History Library Catalog
- Cyndi's List for West Virginia
- Summers County WV Gen Web Genealogy Home Pages
- Summers County USGENWEB Archives Project
- Summers County Photos
- Summers County Great Bend Tunnel
- Summers County, West Virginia Family History & Genealogy
- Wecome to Summers County WV History and Genealogy
- Learning How to Edit our Wiki Sites
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Summers County, West Virginia. Page 746 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).