Sumter County, Alabama Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
1832--Sumter County was created 18 December 1832 from the Choctaw Cession of 1830. County seat: Livingston 
1901 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- Kemper County, Mississippi
- Lauderdale County, Mississippi
- Noxubee County, Mississippi
For tips on accessing Sumter County, Alabama Genealogy census records online, see: Alabama Census.
A wiki article describing an online collection is found at:
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Web Sites USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Sumter County, Alabama Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).