Sussex County, Virginia Compiled Genealogies
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 23:01, 1 April 2011 by Murphynw (Reynolds)
United States Virginia Sussex County Sussex County Genealogy
- See also the main article on genealogical research in Sussex County, Virginia.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- Doyle, Stuart W. Roots Exposed the Lineage and Interrelationships of 15 Family Branches from Virginia's Sussex, Southampton and Greensville Counties. [Orlando, Fla.?]: S.W. Doyle, 2002. FHL Collection 929.273 D772ds [Includes Clanton, Graves, Heath, Hill, Hunnicutt, Maine, Massenburg, Reese, Seaborne, Smith, Vaughn, West, Wright and related families.]
- Pritchett, John W. Southside Virginia Genealogies. CD-ROM. Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2007. Free online index, courtesy: Virginians - The Family History of John W. Pritchett. [Includes a great deal of information about residents of Sussex County, see discussion of cited sources.] FHL US/CAN CD-ROM no. 3887. Purchase at Virginians.com.
- Ricks, Joel and William G. Stanard. W.G. Stanard's Extracts from Virginia Records (in Three Parts). MSS., 1942-1943, microfilmed reproduction: FHL Collection [Includes genealogical and biographical notes about residents of Sussex County.]
- [Bailey] Wyatt Bailey Family of Sussex County, Virginia, 1817-1818. MSS., microfilmed reproduction available at FHL.
- [Bassette] Johnson, Martha C. Black Families of Elizabeth City Co., VA, 1800-1990: Research of Families of Callis, Davis, Simpson, Radcliff, Originating from Gloucester Co., Mathews Co., York and James Counties and Elizabeth Co., Hampton, Virginia. Microfilmed reproduction available at FHL.
- [Bonner] Bonner, Kathryn R. The Bonner Family Record: This Record is Primarily of the Bonners of Surry and Sussex Counties, Virginia, Those that Went to Wilson, Madison and Shelby Counties, Tennessee, and Those that Went On to Phillips County, Arkansas: Today the Descendants are Spread into Many States. Marianna, Arkansas: K.R. Bonner, 1979. Available at FHL.
- [Bullock] Upton, Marie Luter. Bullock Twigs and Branches. Madison, Mississippi: M.L. Upson, 1966. Available at FHL.
- [Burrow] Phillip Burrow (1) (1774-1861)--and Descendants. MSS., available on microfilm at FHL.
- [Clanton] Clanton, Velda E. and Lee R. Clanton. Clanton Family History and Lineage Lines. 2 vols. Hagerstown, Maryland: L.R. & V.E. Clanton, [1993?]. Available at FHL.
- [Dixon] Austin, Jeannette H. Some Descendants of Roger Dixon, Died 1744, Sussex County, Virginia. MSS., microfilmed reproduction available at FHL.
- [Ellis] McCrary, Dixie L. The Ellis Line from Surry--Sussex in Virginia. St. Petersburg, Florida: D.L. McCrary, 1978. Available at FHL.
- [Gilliam] Old, Mary A. Gillam Charts (1989). [Aldergrove, British Columbia, Canada: M.A. Old, 1989]. Available at FHL.
- [Grammar] Randall, Ruth. "Family Lore and Effects of Slavery on the Black Psyche: Rosa Grammar's Choice," National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 97, No. 2 (June 2009):85-96. FHL 973 B2ng v. 97
- [Green] Staubach, Emilee Mills. Greens of South Side Virginia. Genealogical Loose Papers, Department of Archives and History; also available on microfilm at FHL.
- [Grigg] Grigg, L. Richard. A Genealogical Report to the Grigg Family Covering Horton-Hurst-Pell-Grigg,Pinson and Rambo Lines. MSS., 1978, available on microfilm at FHL.
- [Guilham] See Gilliam.
- [Hardie] Clark, Robert M. Hardie, Vincent, Gaines, and Related Families from Virginia to Texas. [Dallas, Texas?]: R.M. Clark, 1989. Available at FHL.
- [Hargrave] DeBruler, Eva. A Historical, Biographical and Genealogical Account of Certain Branches of the DeBruler and Hargrave Families. Bloomington, Indiana: Feltus Printing Co., 1938. Available at FHL.
- [Hargrave] Gray, Beulah B. Richard Hargrave, Pioneer and Circuit Rider of Indiana: ca.1750-1879. 1942. Available at FHL.
- [Hargrave] Wanda, Beatrice, Carrie Little Ringer and John W. Hargrave. Hargrave and Allied Families. Cincinnati: J.W. Hargrave, 1954. Available at FHL.
- [Hargrave] Gray, Beulah B. Genealogical Chart and Notes on the Hargrave Family of Pike County, Indiana. MSS., microfilmed reproduction available at FHL.
- [Hargrove] See Hargrave.
- [Harper] Harper, James Edward. Harper, Kennebrew ... Etc. Falls Church, Virginia: J.E. Harper, 1982. Vol. 1 available at FHL.
- [Harris] Brainard, Emma Harris and Josephine Polk Harris Cumins. The Harris Family of Sussex County, Virginia, Delaware, and Maryland. MSS., Hall of Records, Dover, Delaware; microfilmed reproduction available at FHL.
- [Hight] Wallace, Robert E. Hight-Hite Families of Sussex and Surry Counties, Virginia, from about 1634: 1,333 Descendants, with a Full-Name Index of 2,736 Names of Those Who Went to Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, Texas, North Carolina and Those Who Stayed in and Around Lunenburg County, Virginia with Chronology, Abstracts from the Register of Albemarle Parish, and Records of New Kent, Surry, Sussex, Lunenburg and Prince George Counties (487 Surnames). Bowie, Maryland : Heritage Books, c1976, 1993. Available at FHL.
- [Hight] Wallace, Robert E. Hight-Hite, Prindle-Pringle & Wallace Families. Bowie, Maryland: Heritage Books, 2000. Available at FHL.
- [Hines] Hines, Benjamin McFarland. Hines and Allied Families: Some Descendants of William Hines of Sussex County, Virginia (ca.1690- 1760) and a Record of Their Principal Allied Families, Watson (Virginia, Mississippi); Shackelford (Virginia, South Carolina, Georgia); Nisbet (North Carolina, Georgia); and Kennon (Virginia). [Fairfield, Connecticut]: B.M. Hines, 1981. Available at FHL.
- [Hite] See Hight.
- [Inman] Inman, Joseph Francis. The Inman Family of Surry and Sussex Counties, Virginia and Some of Their Kin. Richmond, Va.: J.F. Inman, 1975. FHL Collection 929.273 A1 no. 5404
- [Knight] Harlander, Anna Knight and E.V. Knight. Ephraim Knight, His Ancestors, Descendants and Allied Families. Pasadena, California: A. Harlander, 1988. Available at FHL.
- [Lanier] McCall, Leon Cleveland. Robert and Mary Lanier McCall: South Georgia Pioneers and Some of Their Descendants. Hiawassee, Georgia: L.C. McCall, 1988. Available at FHL.
- [Mangum] Parham, James Lynn. Mangum Family Bulletin. [Newsletter] 38 vols. Huntsville, Alabama: J.L. Parham, 1969-1992. Available at FHL.
- [Mangum] Inman, Joseph Francis. The Inman Family of Surry and Sussex Counties, Virginia and Some of Their Kin. Richmond [Virginia]: J.F. Inman, 1975. Available at FHL.
- [Mangum] Parham, James Lynn. Mangum - Mangham - Mangrum Journal. [Newsletter] Huntsville, Alabama: J.L. Parham, 2000-2004. Available at FHL.
- [Mangum] Parham, James Lynn. The Mangum CD: (Combined) Mangum Family Bulletin and The Mangum - Mangham - Mangrum Journal. Huntsville, Alabama: J.L. Parham, 2004. Available at FHL.
- [Mitchell] Olney, Adelle Whitby. Mitchell Family Records. MSS., available on microfilm at FHL.
- [Moore] Lockard, Isabel. The Family of Richard H. Moore and Rebecca S. Clements: and Their Relation to the Shands, Lee, Parker and Jennings Families. MSS., available on microfilm at FHL.
- [Neblett] Branom, Jeanne. The Neblett-Middleton Connection. Commerce, Texas: J. Branom, 1994. Available at FHL.
- [Pettway] Evans, June Banks. Using Virginia Land Records in Family History: Kettlestick, Flat Rock, Tar Kiln and Crooked Run: Blackwell -- Hite -- Ussery -- Pettway. New Orleans, Louisiana: Bryn Ffyliaid Publications, 2001. Available at FHL.
- [Prichard] Horlacher, Doris Melissa Pritchett. Pritchett In America, Waller, Pritchard, Prickett, Phelan, 1987. Orem, Utah: Horlacher & Sons, 1987. Available at FHL.
- [Raney] Brandon, Rosa R. Raney Days. Wilson, North Dakota: R.R. Brandon, 1974. Available at FHL.
- [Reynolds] Tillman, Stephen Frederick. The Rennolds-Reynolds Family of Virginia and England, 1530-1948. Washington, D.C.: S.F. Tillman, 1959. FHL Book 929.273 R333t; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Rose] Rose, Christine. Abstracts of Early Virginia Rose Estates: Wills, Inventories, Accounts and Administrator's Bonds before 1850. San Jose, Calif.: Rose Family Bulletin, 1972. FHL US/CAN Book 975.5 A1 no. 56; digital version at Heritage Quest Online ($).
- [Rose] Rose, Christine. Ancestors and Descendants of Frederick Rose: of Sussex County, Virginia, Orange County, North Carolina, and Wayne and Hardin Counties, Tennessee. San Jose, California: C.C. Rose, 1980. Available at FHL.
- [Shanko] Shanko, Jay. Shanko Family Geneology. St. Petersburg, Florida: N.H. Shanko, [1966?]. Available at FHL.
- [Spiers] Lane, Marian Spiers. Census Reports of Spiers, Spires, Speirs: Prince George, Sussex, Dinwiddie, Surry, Virginia. MSS., 3 vols., also available at FHL.
- [Sterling] See Neblett.
- [Tudor] LaChapelle, A.G. Leigh. The Genealogy of the Tudor Family, 1720-1987: of Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee, Arkansas, Indiana, Kentucky, Missouri, Michigan, Oklahoma, Texas. Farmington Hills, Michigan: A.G. LaChapelle, 1987. Available at FHL.
- [West] Stone, Letta Brock and Leonardo Andrea. West Genealogical Research, 1550-1950. MSS., 71 vols. Microfilmed reproduction available at FHL. [FHL US/CAN Film 1421740 Item 2 includes West genealogical information from Southampton, Surrey, Sussex, and Isle of Wight Counties, Virginia.]
- [Wilkinson] Wilkinson, George Carroll and Gene Cox Wilkinson. The Wilkinsons of Sussex County, Virginia: Related Families: Magee, Cox, Goodwyn and Other Extended Family Ties. [Dallas, Texas: G.C. Wilkinson], 1996. Available at FHL.
- [Wilkinson] Wilkinson, George Carroll and Gene Cox Wilkinson. The Wilkinsons of Isle of Wight, Surry and Sussex Counties, Virginia, and Related Families: Magee, Cox, Goodwyn and Other Allied Family Ties. n.p.: G.C. Wilkinson, 2006. Available at FHL; digital version at BYU Family History Archives.
- [Wyche] Town, Jan Wyche. Wyche Family History. Burleson, Texas: J.W. Town, 1989. Available at FHL.
- [Yecoshenko] See Shanko.