Swain County, North Carolina Genealogy
|Swain County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
|County Seat||Bryson City|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Swain County North Carolina
1 Mitchell St P O box 417
Bryson, NC 28713
Reg of Deeds has b & d rec from 1913
m rec from 1907 & land rec
Clk Sup Ct has div & ct rec from 1900 & pro rec
Swain county was created 24 Feb 1871 from Jackson and Macon
European settlement began soon after the Cherokee Indian cession of 1798. These Europeans settled in the areas along the Oconaluftee and Tuckaseegee Rivers. The Cherokees surrendered the remainder of the land in a treaty on February 27, 1819. In 1871 the North Carolina General Assembly passed an act making Swain a North Carolina county, taking land from Jackson and Macon county. It was named for David L. Swain a former governor of North Carolina and president of the University of North Carolina.
The first court was held at Cold Spring Meeting House. Commissioners were to select a site for the courthouse and lay out a town named Charleston, to become the county seat. Charleston was renamed Bryson City in 1889 in honor of Colonel Thad Dillard Bryson.
Swain County began probating wills in 1876.
1879--Courthouse fire destroyed many records.
1908-- Swain County Courthouse in Bryson City burned by rioters, January 7, 1908. No records were saved. 
- Blount County, Tennessee
- Cocke County, Tennessee
- Sevier County, Tennessee
- List of Cemeteries - at Swain Co. NCGenWeb site
- Birdtown Cemetery - at Cemetery Census
- Swain County Cemeteries - at Find-a-Grave
For tips on accessing Swain County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
Civil War Confederate units - Brief history, counties where recruited, etc.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb Project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Swain County, NCGenWeb
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- GenDisasters.com Bryson City, NC Courthouse Burned by Rioters, Jan 1908 http://www3.gendisasters.com/north-carolina/17868/bryson-city-nc-courthouse-burned-rioters-jan-1908