Sweden, Gävleborg Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Sweden, Gävleborg Church Records, 1616-1908; index 1671-1860 .
- 1 Title in the Language of the Records
- 2 Record Description
- 3 How to Use the Records
- 4 Related Websites
- 5 Related Wiki Articles
- 6 Citation for This Collection
- 7 Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
Title in the Language of the Records
Sverige, Gävleborg, Kyrkoböcker Register
The collection consists of church records from the county of Gävleborg. It contains indexes to births, marriages, and deaths and also images of clerical surveys, registers of birth, marriage, death, move-in and move-out lists, confirmations, church accounts, etc.
The key genealogical facts found in most Lutheran birth or christening or birth (Födde) records are:
- Child’s name
- Christening date
- Sometimes the birth date
- Parents’ names
- Parents’ marital status
- Parents’ residence
- Fathers’ occupation
- Sometimes the mother’s age
- Witnesses and their residences
The key genealogical facts found in most Lutheran marriage (Vigde) records are:
- Groom’s name
- Depending on the time period, the groom’s marital status, residence, and age
- Bride’s name
- Depending on the time period, the bride’s marital status, residence, and age
- Witnesses and their residences
The key genealogical facts found in most Lutheran death or burial (Döde) records are:
- Name of the deceased
- Death date
- Burial date
- Marital status and sometimes the spouse’s name
- Sometimes other biographical notes
The key genealogical facts found in most Lutheran moving records (Inflyttnings and Utflyttnings) are:
- Name of person moving
- Former residence
- New residence
- Sometimes marital status
The key genealogical facts found in most Lutheran clerical surveys (Husförhörslängd) are:
- Name of each member of the household
- Birth dates
- Deaths within the year
- Marriages within the year
- Moves within the year (including where they moved to or from)
- Marital status
The key genealogical facts found in most Lutheran church account registers (räkenskaper) are:
- Residence within the parish
- Amount paid
- May give reason for payment
How to Use the Records
For detailed information on using Swedish church records, see the wiki article: Swedish Church Records
Help with the Language
These records are in Swedish so you will need to be able to understand written Swedish. For help with reading the records, please see the following wiki articles:
- Genealogy Research in Sweden
- Genline : Swedish Genealogy Online
- Arkiv Digital: Swedish Church Records Online (in color)
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the data and images published on FamilySearch.org Historical Records. It may include the author, custodian, publisher and archive for the original records.
Sweden. Gävleborg Church Records, 1616-1908; index 1671-1860. National Archives of Sweden (Riksarkivet SVAR),Marieberg, Stockholm.
Information about creating source citations for FamilySearch Historical Collections is listed in the wiki article Help:How to Create Source Citations For FamilySearch Historical Records Collections.
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information. This will help you or others to find the record again. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records.
A suggested format for keeping track of records that you have searched is found in the wiki article Help:How to Cite FamilySearch Collections.
Example of a Source Citation for a Record Found in This Collection
- Sweden, Gavleborg Church Records, 1616-1908; index 1671-1860United States. Bureau of the Census. 12th census, 1900, digital images, From FamilySearch (www.familysearch.org: 14 march, 2012), > Farila forsamling > C Fodelse- och dopbocker > 3, 1779-1861 image 202 of 295 images, #28 Baptism of Olof 1 Juni 1840 son o Olor Larsson Lindstrom och H Karin Olsdotter i Fone. from the National Archives of Sweden, Riksarkivet SVAR. FHL microfilm, 666 reels. Author Svenska kyrkan. Film 130131 Farila socken film Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.