Swisher County, Texas Genealogy
Guide to Swisher County Texas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Swisher County, Texas|
Location in the state of Texas
Location of Texas in the U.S.
|Founded||August 21, 1876|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Swisher County Courthouse
Tulia, TX 79088
County Clerk has birth records from 1904,
marriage, death and burial records from 1900,
divorce records from 1905, probate and court
records from 1890 and land records from 1888
1876--Swisher County was created 21 August 1876 from Bexar Land District. County seat: Tulia 
Places / Localities
Happy | Kress | Tulia | Vigo Park
- Center Plains-Bagley Cemetery ~ USGenWeb Archives
- Happy Cemetery ~ USGenWeb Archives
- Kress Cemetery ~ USGenWeb Archives
- Price Cemetery ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Providence Community Cemetery ~ USGenWeb Archives
- Rose Hill Cemetery ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Vigo Park Cemetery ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Tombstone Transcription Project ~ Partial transcription of cemetery tombstones ~ USGenWeb
- Texas Historic Cemeteries ~ Partial indexes to historic cemeteries
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Texas Escapes Listing of Texas cemeteries with transcriptions and lots of pictures.
Court Docket 1890-1891 ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
Local histories are available for Swisher County, Texas Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Texas Local Histories.
- 1926 Phone Directory ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1934 Phone Directory ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Texas Museums ~ List of all museums in Texas ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Tulia Sanborn Fire Insurance Map for 1921. Scroll down the page until you get to Tulia. There are several sheets to the map.
- Swisher County Cadastral Survey Map 1879 Second 1879 map from the Portal to Texas History
- Swisher County Cadastral Survey Map 1887 from the Portal to Texas History
- Swisher County 1940 General Highway Map
- Swisher County 1961 General Highway Map
- Historical Maps ~ From the Republic to the Turn of the Century ~ Hidden Ancestors
- WWI Veteran Records ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- WWII Veteran Records ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Military Resources ~ Links to research Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Fallen Heroes ~ Partial Index of casualties from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Honoring Our Veterans ~ Partial index of veterans from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Tulia Herald Newspaper Archives selected dates 1918-1962 online from the Portal to Texas History.
- Home Town News - Texas Newspaper Index with links
- Newslink - Texas Newspaper List (sorted by publication frequency)
- The Olden Times - Historic Texas News Online
- Obituary Resources ~ Links to research and locate obituaries ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Texas
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Texas Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Project ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
Probate records of Texas have been kept by the probate clerk in each county courthouse. You can obtain copies of the records from the clerk's office. In most counties, all information pertaining to a probate case is recorded in the "probate minutes."
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their places of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records.
See the Wiki page Texas Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
- Search Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills Records ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
- 1925 Tulia Taxes ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1926 Tulia Taxes ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1927 Tulia Taxes ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1929 Tulia Taxes ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
- Texas Marriage Records 1966 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Divorce Records 1968 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Texas 1850 - 1930
Societies and Libraries
- Swisher County Library
127 Sw 2nd St
Tulia, TX 79088
Phone: (806) 995-3447
- Society Hill ~ Links and addresses to Texas genealogical and historical societies
Family History Centers
- Swisher County Archives ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county.
- Hidden Ancestors Information on Texas genealogy research as well as genealogy research in general.
- USGenWeb Texas Archives Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Swisher County, Texas. Page 674 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).